6505 Mini? Looks sweet!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by FPFL, Mar 5, 2015.

1. FPFL

FPFL Member

Anyone try one? Didn't even know they were a thing until just now.

They aren't in full release yet, it appears, but this is a great idea. Hope they deliver.

-P

2. sefloval

sefloval Member

3. Russ73

Russ73 Member

They have a classic mini that I think will be popular here...Im open to either of them...whichever one I gel with more Im grabbing....

4. sefloval

sefloval Member

5. nickcoumbe

nickcoumbe Member

I'm interested because I assume that it is similar to a baby soldano, being the this is what the original 5150 was hoping to emulate.

6. darkinners

darkinners Member

Looks good but I am extra vary of high gain metal amp with el84 power tube.
    From my experience (Mini Rectro/Mark 25/Jim Root) They tend to sound very fizzy high gain to their bigger brother with 6L6GC/EL34.

7. FPFL

FPFL Member

Just found out its made in China. Much less interested. Its $499 and now I know why.

Too bad... the feature set looks sweet, I'd have paid a good bit more for a US made model. Look at what the Mesa lunch boxes go for more than 2X that and I was comparing this to that. Back to Mesa or maybe look at a 65XX and running it at half power.

The US 5150s/6505s are US made, famously durable and I see no reason to mess with that formula.

8. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

for real, i am getting tired of the "it is made in China" I-------- comment

9. Axe_34

Axe_34 Supporting Member

After watching the Undercover Boss debacle, Peavey's never getting another cent from me.

10. Willicat

Willicat Member

You would have to try that out before buying, you may end up gassing for the big brother.

I own a 5150, 6505+ and the 5150 III 50 watt

As much as I love the sound of the 5150 mini, and it is LOUD..when I use it with the band at practice I miss the open fullness of the bass response the 120 watters have, even at "bedroom" volume. It's just not as big sounding even when cranked. So unfortunately it doesn't see the stage.

11. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

I'll check out the Classic 20MH, but done with the 'it's made in China' snobbery. I've played too many MIC Epiphones lately to sway me on the quality.

Don't care about the 'Undercover Boss' thing - that's just the one event you know about publicly. If buying a Classic 20MH means it will support the U.S. workers Peavey DOES have, I'm willing to take that chance.

12. FPFL

FPFL Member

To be clear, I support manufacturing in plenty of countries besides my own. I'd gladly buy a Mexican made 5150 III before a Chinese 6505 for example. I'm now looking a the mini 50W in fact. Didn't realize it had the Resonance knob on the back - that's awesome!

The reality in China for workers and for civilians living with the pollution the West has outsourced doesn't care what we think... It cares what we do.

I research and then "vote" with my wallet to support workers rights and environmental regulation around the world.

Call me a snob. Its meaningless sentiment. I'm trying to make the world a better place when I have a choice to. How we spend matters.

-P

13. sefloval

sefloval Member

Thanks for the info on this. I'm considering the EVH 50 watt head, but like you stated I'm afraid it won't sound as open/big/girthy when playing with my band. I've only played the 6505+ at guitar center and they always have it hooked up to a Marshall 1960 cab and I'm just not digging it (too boxy/congested?). Pretty sure the cab might be the reason though as well as very low volume. I played the EVH 50 watt through the matching 4x12 and really enjoyed it, but wonder how it would hold up with a loud full band.

May need to bring in my own 2x12 loaded with a V30/K85 to see how it does.
    If you have anything else to add regarding those amps, please feel free to share as those are the 3 I'm looking at. Haven't found a 6505 (non-+) to try out yet.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  14. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

I don't want to be clear, i know how the China market works.

I also know they make AAA+++ products if you pay for them.
    I also happen to know a lot of North American business don't pay well and they get what they paid for and them blame the Chinese products, which are what the companies in North America asked for in the first place.

Also , the middle class in China right now lives better than the middle class in the USA.
    Get your facts right.

Another one, "Zonas francas" where american companies pay les than 200 dollars a month to their workers.
    Get out of the USA and stop watching Fox and you will start getting it.

Out of this thread for good and tired of the Snobbism you guys live in in the USA.

By the way, my "****** apartment" in NYC is just that, a ****** made POS **** compared to my House in the Caribbean.

15. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

I'd just get a used 5150 or 6505. Good amps for decent dough used.

16. Willicat

Willicat Member

[QUOTE. May need to bring in my own 2x12 loaded with a V30/K85 to see how it does.
    If you have anything else to add regarding those amps, please feel free to share as those are the 3 I'm looking at. Haven't found a 6505 (non-+) to try out yet.[/QUOTE]

What they don't spell out with the 6505+ is that it naturally has way too much mid's.

Turn the midrange at 9 o'clock the treble at 11 o'clock and the pres and res at 1 o'clock, bass to 3 o'clock, gain to your liking and then play it with the 1960a cab and it is a beast.

if you use a TS8 or 9 to boost it, it gets real large sounding.

I am one of the few who use that head for hard rock,so I sit on the crunch channel with the gain around 1-2 o'clock and boost is with a tr9 and get a lot of complements on the tone with that set up.

Love my 5150 head but it's a one trick pony in comparison.

The 5150's and 6505+'s get bad raps as being just a metal amp but remember Eddie switched over from Marshall to Peavey and got his brown sound out of them all.

The 5150 III mini is more diverse than all of them, it's just the small sound that kills it. Great to record with. Green channel with gain all the way up and boosted with a TS9 gets a reallly great Marshall tone...I gotta give it that too.

17. FPFL

FPFL Member

Mac,

You've missed my point entirely.
    I said nothing about the quality of the products. Zero.

I was talking about workers rights and the environment...

In short, you are right on one front - good products can come out of terrible circumstances, but lets not feed that. Its not liberating people; that's a packaged "don't feel guilty" myth when buying from an, ahem, "state run economy". What's another word for that?

Last I checked, Mexico works just a little differently. : ) Ever been there? I do recommend it.

If we speak with our dollars, corporations will notice. Its just as important as your actual vote. Let vendors know.

The issues underneath are what matter. Human rights and respecting them. Let's help those helping people when we spend, not save a few bucks and hold others down.

As a class, I hope musicians care more about people than the average. We are the voice of those people. Some who won't speak and some who can't.

-Paul

18. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

those new little Peaveys look great and have awesome features. I would buy any of them. The Classic 20 would be my 1st choice I think, for what i play

19. jc986

jc986 Member

+1. Sold my 6505+ after that episode and bought an EVH 5150 iii. Happier with the sound, and that I'm no longer supporting Hartley Peavey & Co.

deathrider817 likes this.
  20. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

I somehow have a $421 credit on my Sweetwater card. I might get the Classic 20

deathrider817 likes this.