1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

6505 Peavey amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by EDnugent, Jun 15, 2006.

1. EDnugent

EDnugent Member

Hello guys'
    I'm new on this forum.....nice to meet you!!!

I have a question about the Peavey 6505 Amplifier,Is this Amplifier a good rock amp?
    Can you use this amp on stage?

thanks all,

Ed

2. el34power

el34power Member

The 6505 is a Non EVH 5150 isn't it? I owned the first gen 5150. Loved it!
    Poundcake tone

3. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Welcome.

Define 'Rock'. If you mean classic rock, then I would say probably not.

If you want metal, it's going to be a pretty nice setup.

Unless you're playing large venues tho, you're going to have a hard time getting to actually use that 120 watts. It actually doesn't sound *terrible* at lower volumes, but like any tube amp, it blossoms at over 12 on the master.

And if you like clean, this is not the amp for you.

IMHO.

4. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Yes, it's the continuation of that series. 40 year Peavey annivesary (19)65-(20)05 = 6505

5. xdisciplex

xdisciplex Member

Its a good amp for metal and hard rock.

6. Scoeb City

Scoeb City Member

its definitely stage worthy, like xdisciplex said, its a popular amp for metal/hardcore / heavy rock styles. its affordable, and has tons of gain on tap. so if you're just starting out its a good choice. many bands use these amps as their touring rigs and swear by em. and i'd also agree the clean channel sucks.

7. JWR

JWR Member

I ordered one and compared it to my herd of amps. I really wanted to see if it was better than the Soldano Hot Rod and some Marshalls. I thought it was a very well designed amp, well thought out and a great value considering the typical 'music store" amps these days. I did not think the loop did the Flanger or the Phase 90 justice, which is one of the reasons I got it. The hi gain setting was a bit much. I like the clean and the next setting "crunch" or whatever channel. It was a bit noisy, but not as bad as I heard it would be. The footpedal is cheap plastic poor construction.

My Soldano Hot Rod 50 did a better VH to my ears than the Peavey. I got to thinking that hmmm, If I got better power tubes, did the bias mod, improved the transformers to MM then this thing would be really great, but then I'm into boutique land with pricing anyway, so I packed it up and returned it. Don;t get me wrong, If I see a nice one for a good value I'll probably get one someday, but the Soldano is a better tone to my ear.

8. mrniceguy

mrniceguy Member

I owned one of the 5150 series amps a year or so ago, can't really remember it but I know I liked it when I had it. I remember it being a REALLY hi gain amp if you know what I mean, although it sounded kind of thin in a way, had something missing. But I would say you could get classic rock tones from it, I know I love Ted Nugent's tones and Ted's main amp is a 6505.

9. mrniceguy

mrniceguy Member

I'm guessing you know this by the looks of your username. BTW, if your looking for the Nuge's tone I applaud you. It's one of my favorites.

10. EDnugent

EDnugent Member

Thanks all,
    Mrnice guy:...its one of my idols!!,i've heard that he's playin on non modified Amp's....
    Thanks

Eddy.:RoCkIn

11. JWR

JWR Member

They really are a well built and well designed amp considering ithey are built to a price point. Compared to many current factory produced products, they are a good value. I can see why they are popular, I just can;t imagine ever needing that much gain.

12. DSS3

DSS3 Member

I went from an XXX, to a 5150, to a Single Rectifier, back to a 5150. I'll never sell this one!

Best amp for melodic deathmetal, ever! It cuts through a band situation like nobodies business, has plenty of clarity and definition, and sits in a mix incredibly well.

As far as them 'blossoming' after 12 o' Clock on the master... Gotta call you on that one! They stop getting louder after about 5.5, and just get more compressed and buzzy. It reaches it's tonal best at about 3.5 or so, which is still lod, but it does sound good down at 1-2.

13. Critter

Critter Member

I have had three 5150 II's and a 5150 combo that I still own. All three got a bias resistor change which totally eliminated the fuzz and they just work. People will say why 3, the first two I bought as half stacks and sold the first head off because the power tube sockets were made cheaper than the second one I got. The second was the typical socket with metal sleeves in each hole to make contact. The first had a spring loaded tang in the botom of each socket when I went to check and clean it. The expensive sockets I've seen have the sleeves. So since I know the one with the tangs was made in o4 I would say they went a little cheaper as time went on. So I changed the resistor on the second one and kept it. The third was just too good a deal to pass up..

14. gnugear

gnugear Member

I just got a block letter 5150 and love it!! I did the bias mod and noticed a slight change in tone but nothing dramatic. It sounds fantastic through my vintage greenback cabs (G12Ms and G12Hs). Modern cabs seem to bring out more buzziness. It can hold its own with my Marshalls ... and it's built like a tank! :)

15. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

not sure how u use your amps but i have to have the main volume up on my amps to get it cookin and as much as i LOVED the 5150 it was SO LOUD of an amp i couldnt get it past 3 on the dial even in a 2,000 seater venue in rock city nottingham...awsome metal tone and the notes fall out of the amp(feels very easy to play)..but so so loud