6550 Recommendations For SSS Clone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MHG, Mar 25, 2015.

1. MHG

MHG Member

I'll be ordering a 150w SSS clone, and was hoping to get some tube recommendations. Many seem to think the GE 6550A is the best, but the fact that the mids are sometimes described as harsh, and mechanical, worries me a bit.....but I do like the idea of an open, clear, airy, top end. They're expensive as well. I would like to avoid tubes that will sound too Hi-Fi and have a hard feel. Definitely prefer a warmer tone with a softer feel, while still retaining articulation and clarity. Any recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your responses.

2. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

I've tried the NOS Tung Sol 6550s in my Hi Plains Drifter and thought there was very little difference to the new production Tung Sol 6550s, especially for the mark up in price and at the end of the day not worth it. The new production Tung Sols have been reliable as well, so I haven't ventured to try to find another NOS quad (which is challenging to find!). There's plenty of articulation and clarity in this circuit along with enough EQ bells and whistles to make it as warm as you'd like. The feel is more on the circuit design and the filtering if you are going for a softer or stiffer feel (EJ SSS or SRV SSS). Brandon at Bludo uses (at least he did at one point) NOS 6550s in his personal Drifter, but I believe that's because he got them for a great price. Otherwise he's happy shipping his builds with new Tung Sols.

3. MHG

MHG Member

Very helpful! Thanks so much.

4. logdrum

logdrum Member

I have the Ampeg VL-503 which takes 6550. My amp tech favored Electro Harmonix for new production. When we tried the Valve Arts that Amplified Parts recommended it was surprisingly good. Jon over at Amplified parts told me that the Valve Arts (Shuaguang) are good in Marshalls.

The EH was stiffer sounding than the Valve Arts. I was always biased towards Chinese tubes until now.