65Amps Colour Boost?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by scolfax, Jan 23, 2015.

1. scolfax

scolfax Member

Anyone try the 65Amps Colour Boost? Thinking about picking one up but reviews are scarce.

2. Lpmusicservices

Lpmusicservices Member

Had one while I played a Dr Z Maz 18 and loved what it did. It likes British amps on the verge of breakup. You can def get a Brian May type tone with it or a nice round rhythm thing. It is darker than a standard OD but the 4 way selector works great.

3. bdm

bdm Supporting Member

BACK FROM THE DEAD: I was just about to post a thread about these.

I’ve owned the Colour Boost twice. I have been slightly obsessed with Brian May’s tone in recent years. I really wanted to like the Colour Boost but found them to be unbearably noisy. The second one I got was literally unusable the noise floor was so high. It was a wash of hiss and static.

Tonally they sound radical. It’s a blast to play with that kind of extreme screaming tone but functionally I found them basically unusable.

I tried a handful of other treble boosts but most sacrificed a degree of the noise for a more tame and subdued personality. The others I tried were more polite and practical but none were as inspiring to play.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    your name here likes this.