65amps & Germino Plexi Tones

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gtrs, Oct 19, 2008.

1. gtrs

gtrs Supporting Member

Alright guys, I've got a question for ya. I want a nice Plexi tone and I'm looking at either a 65amps Royal Albert or Germino Lead 55, possibly a LV.
    I want to crank it and use the guitar to control my gain of course, but:

Which one excels at this?
    Has anyone noticed either one sound particularly good or bad attenuated?
    I've read the Albert takes pedals really well, how's the Germino?
    Are there any foot switchable functions on the Royal Albert?

Any Pro's and Con's in general would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!

2. hism-scism

hism-scism Member

Not sure how much this helps, because I haven't directly compared these two amps; I do have a 65 Marquee Club, but it's a completely different amp from the Royal Albert. I did own a late sixties 50w plexi Marshall and a Germino Lead 55 at the same time though. All old Marshalls sound a bit different one to the other, but the Germino was frighteningly close to my vintage Marshall. They both sounded good with overdrive and fuzz pedals, with great dynamic control from the guitar. If anything, the Germino maybe sounded a little better than the old Marshall, honestly. I'd really like to check out the Royal Albert, I'm sure it sounds great.

3. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Billy Squire these days? Royal Albert? After that 'Lonely is the Night' uTube...that has me convinced.

Germino has some great tones, but somehow there's that crispy something there in the upper mids that I don't get from the Germino. Just me tho.

4. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

5. uga1

uga1 Member

I can only speak for the Germino, but I have owned a club 40 and recently picked up a lead 55. The lead 55 is the plexi amp that I've been looking for. It is a loud amp, but the tone is to die for. Listen to about any live recording of aerosmith playing toys in the attic and that's the tone. Just superb. Best of luck which ever one you choose. :RoCkIn

6. Zuper

Zuper Supporting Member

They are both fantastic amps. I can't see how you could be disappointed with either one.

That being said, I really love Greg Germino's take on classic Marshall tones. His amps always have a little extra something that stands out for me.

7. gtrs

gtrs Supporting Member

That's a GREAT sound, definitely in the vein of what I'm after.

Thanks for the info so far.
    Keep it comin'!!!!!

8. buyusfear

buyusfear Member

I've been really interested in the Royal Albert after seeing Keith Urban live. I know he uses a bunch of stuff in the mix, but I did read that his current tone consists of McCarty era Gibson's and 65amps Royal Alberts. He said his amps are practically lying flat onstage so as to be able to crank them right out and not pummel the audiance.

This clip, even as bad as the sound is, really does a good job of showing how Keith Urban is able to blend in and out of clean and dirty tones with just the volume (right at the end of the clip he hits, IMO, clean P-90 heaven)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6D4BHk3-TY&fmt=18

It's that tone I want, however I'm not sure if the Royal Albert is the right amp

9. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Don't know why...that is KILLER.

10. myles111

myles111 Member

I loose track of what happens when but ... at one time Keith was using four Royal Alberts I believe. He may have also used a 100 watt Royal Albert prototype for a while that is now out with John Shanks (record producer).

About a month ago there was a party at 65amps with folks from Bogner, Premier Guitar, and other friends. A Royal Albert was used a lot as was the 100 watt prototype. The Rocket 88 and Kingshead were also in the mix. I have some photos of that gathering and some incredibly badly done mini videos with terrible audio as the mic was overloaded by multiple 100 watt amps and a lot of 50 watters, all turned up. A lot of original Marshall stuff was played that night too.

The photos and videos are on a page at http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com/65amps.html where you may be able to get some sort of amusement.

11. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

I don't think you'd go wrong with either of those amps. If possible, I'd check out the Germino article in last month's Tone Quest.

12. buyusfear

buyusfear Member

Yep, the guy is one hell of a tastefull player

Thanks for that!

13. gtrs

gtrs Supporting Member

Is it safe to say that the Royal Albert isn't really doing a "Plexi" tone? I've seen other's compare it to a Selmer.
    Can anyone go it some more detail about that?

I really dig 65amps, I absolutely LOVE my London. So I'm seriously looking at the Albert even though I know that the Germino is about as close to a Vintage Plexi amp as I'm ever gonna get.

THANKS!!!!!!

14. 65sam

65sam Member

Hey There,

Yes! The Royal Albert is based off of an old Selmer Treble Bass we have at the shop. So it's a little different flavor than the Plexi.

Thanks,

Sam Austin
    65amps

15. gtrs

gtrs Supporting Member

Well, I just saw the Black Crow's Friday night and I loved Richs' tone.
    With the Albert in low power setting and inefficient speakers I think I could crank it up quite a bit. Plus I like the fact that I could use it at full power if I needed it. Me loves some versatility!! LOL
    I also like the foot switchable Boost function.

Can anyone talk me out of the Royal Albert vs. the Germino????
    Is anyone getting rid of a Royal Albert??