65Amps London

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by decay-o-caster, Aug 31, 2005.

1. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

O.M.G.!!! :eek: :D

I'll post more coherent remarks about it when I've had a chance to play it even more, and when I get my jaw off the floor.

But so far I'd say, oh, not too shabby at all! ;)

2. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

Amen. Dan and Peter have nailed it.

3. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Glad you're diggin' the amp, I'm loving the Sex Amp!! Great trade, thanks. :)

4. Shane S

Shane S Member

I have been enjoying mine since June:dude

[​IMG]

5. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

London Stack, eh? Nice! What speakers did you go with? G12H/Blue mix?

6. Shane S

Shane S Member

G12H/Blue in the bottom. The top is currently empty and I am looking at getting one of your speakers for it really soon :D

I bought the cab to be my experiment cab to try out various speaker combinations.

7. Scumback Speakers

Shane, whenever you're ready. I've got 65 Scumbacks in stock, ready to ship... so I probably have at least one of what you might want. No worries, OK?

8. Shane S

Shane S Member

Email sent.

9. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

shane,

how does it compare to the trem cat?

10. Shane S

Shane S Member

These are the differences that I hear: The Trem Cat has reverb, the 65 does not. The Trem Cat's tremelo has a much wider range of use compared to the 65. The 65 Trem sound wonderful, it just does not have the range that the Trem Cat has.

The Trem Cat sounds fantastic with single coil pickups, but I REALLY have to tweek the controls to get a good sound with humbuckers. I would have to say the Trem Cat prefers singlecoils to humbucker guitars. The James Trussart that I have pictured with the 65 above sounds KILLER with the Bad Cat. The 65 sounds great with anything and I mean ANYTHING. I play Les Paus, PRS, Strats, Teles, Gretsch, Jerry Jones, Vintage Epiphone Thinlines, ect through the 65 and they all sound great and the true voice of the guitar comes out with this amp.

I also would note that the Trem Cat can get very high gain while the 65 will not get as hight gain. It is more vintage voiced that the Trem Cat.

Both are really great sounding amps and are different enough to justify having both. I supposedly have the first Marquee Club on order with Stu @ Fat Sound. So hopefully by the end of the year that will be in the harem:)

11. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

I see on the 65Amps site that they recommend the Framptone Switchers in order to be able to use both channels. A couple of questions before the house -

Would a normal (i.e., Whirlwind) A/B box work as well? I understand you couldn't do both with the Whirlwind because the channels are out of phase with each other.

Would the Framptone 3-Banger let me do hi and lo inputs on one channel and one of the inputs on the other? What I really want is a 4-Banger - hi and lo sound killer on both channels! :)

Thanks!

12. Shane S

Shane S Member

I have not used the Framptone, but that is the one that Dan and Peter recomend. The Whirlwind will not work if you want to run both channels at the same time. If you want to use it as a/b between the two channels it should work.

I am not sure about the Framptone 3-Banger. Maybe someone else can chime in. Cool idea about having a 4-way. I find the hardest thing to do when playing the amp is what side I want to plug into because they both sound so good.

13. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

It's great when both parties to a transaction think they got the winning hand! :)

Thanks, Shane S - I plugged in the Whirlwind last night, used it A/B, and it worked fine for that, though there is a risk of hitting the "both" button accidentally.

But I really want to plug into both inputs on both channels - there's so much juicy goodness lurking in all those holes! I told Peter that I wanted a 6-button floor switch to replace the 2-button switch they send - all four inputs, plus trem/boost.

14. Scumback Speakers

The Framptone has a phase matching type switch (or something like that) which allows two out of phase channels to be used together as it does the necessary (electronic phase matching?) stuff to use them together. This is what Dan Boul told me the last time we did some recording a month or so ago. That's why they recommend the Framptone product. FWIW.

15. Dave LaP

Dave LaP Member

16. DanBoul

DanBoul Member

Hi guys, and yes Jim is correct. (Hey Jim!) The London has a 1/2-wave phase inverter so if you plug into both channels your signal will be 180' out of phase and will sound very thin.

We use 1% tolerance resistors in the PI so the inversion is pretty distinct. I had one customer tell that his amp actually went silent when he plugged into both channels! LOL! The signal was perfectly out of phase.

The Framptone 3-banger does have the 180' inverstion switch on it so the two signals will align when introduced into an amp like ours. (Fender Deluxes are the same way). Also the Radial Tonebone works very well with the same kind of switch.

Cheers!!

17. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

Hi Dan,

Here's some info I completely forgot to share a while ago. I spoke to Burkhard Lehle about using the Lehle Dual with the London (or similar designs with the channels out of phase) a while back and he mentioned two things that might be of interest. Anyone who owns the current Dual could make up a special cable quite easily, since the Dual outputs are stereo jacks, so you'd just need to re-wire a cable with the tip and sleeve reversed on one end (IIRC).

Secondly, he mentioned that the new Dual II (whenever it comes out) will have a phase reverse switch on it.

Hope this helps anyone who has the Dual already and doesn't wanna shell out extra for a new ABY switcher.

Regards

Chris

18. Scumback Speakers

Hey Dan! Been meaning to call you, I'll shoot you an email or call next week.

19. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

From my attempt to order one, it would seem that Framptone isn't shipping these days. So the Tonebone'll do the same out-of-phase thing, too? Guess I'll have to try it!

I love the 65 even w/o the two channels bridged - I really wonder how it would sound with both channels together...

20. DanBoul

DanBoul Member

Did you have a problem getting one ordered from Robert Keeley? Please let me know and I'll check into it for you. I need to know that stuff too.

Cheers,

Dan