65amps Monterey-HP (Video Clip)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rocketboss, May 3, 2008.

1. rocketboss

rocketboss Supporting Member

I had a some time last week and decided to put together a little clip featuring the new Monterey from 65amps. I can't tell you how happy I am with this amp.

My music is changing quit a bit right now. I'm using single coils more than ever and playing with way less gain. This amp has a whole new palet of tones for me. Great cleans, very 3 dimensional and extremely touch sensitive. The bump circuit is perfect for getting the lead to cut through or bringing out the overall crunch for rhythm work. It also takes pedals great!

This is my first attempt at video in some time. Obviously the camera microphone is a real killer....clipping, compressing, etc,. But I'm hoping the basic character of this amp will be heard.

I'm absolutely loving this amp!

Nick

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=33515089

2. Luke Gibson

Luke Gibson Silver Supporting Member

Nice clip Nick! ....this is a little departure from what you normaly use? On a personal note, I can't make up my mind whether I want a D13 RSA23 or a 65 amps Soho. Are you using it live, how do you like it?

3. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

Nick,

Great stuff! Really great tones and fantastic playing. I love the direction you are headed in.

4. Jay Strange

Jay Strange Member

I liked the Les Paul clips the best not to say the others werent killer either because they were. I dig your choice of chords and extended runs on scales. Very impressive. Keep it up dude!!:AOK

5. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

Very Cool!

I love my 65 Amps London. Something "extra" that still makes my love to play it.

6. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Hey Nick,
    How loud and punchy are the cleans? Enough to go unmiced in a small club and still be clean?
    Thanks,
    Emee

7. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Oh, get a haircut, ya dang hippie:BITCH!!

:D

Emee

8. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Hey thanks, that was one of my favorite gear demos I've seen on the net. Great playing ,and nice tones.. Loved the way they changed so much using all the different guitars. Great job

Eric

9. Rock72

Rock72 Member

You can't go wrong with 65 Amps :D.

Great demo BTW, thanks for that!

10. rocketboss

Hey Michael,

First let me say, the lid is a wig!...... Just kidd'in!

My main concern with my new direction and this type of an amp was, how was it going to be able to cover large stages and compair with another amp like the OD-100 or a Marshall plexi and a 4x12 for the heavier material. I should also mention this is my first open back cabinet. I come from the, at least two half stacks and sometime two full stacks for the live shows. So I was really concerned with the stage volume. I thought maybe I should get two of the 2x12's or maybe just start with the 65-4x12 but I was worried the 4x12 would change the sound to much even though the 65 model is semi open back. Anyway, I started with just the 2x12 and I'm blown away with the shear volume of this amp. Its LOUD! I've been a/bing it with a Marshall or Wizard half stack and the Monterey believe it or not is right there. I feel I'll have no problems a/bing between quarter stack rhythm and half stack lead tones if needed. Remember mine is the High Powered version rated at around 40 watts.

So to answer your question the cleans are very loud. With the amps gain set to lets say about 2 o'clock for a great crunchy breakup, you can then roll the guitar down to a great clean tone. It stays very pure, punchy and sparkley.

This video doesn't show this at all. I had to use the master volume and really keep the gain to a minimum to cope with the camera mic.

Nick

11. rocketboss

Hi Luke,
    Sorry I missed your question. Both great amps! I think the RSA23 has a little more gain on tap and sounds alot like a Marshal. The SOHO also Marshally but with a little Voxy chime mixed in. Which could be because of the EF86 pre-amp tube.

I haven't used the Monterey live yet, but I'm sure it will be great. Its, at It's best at volume!

I checked out your Photobucket pics. Really nice gear you have there!

Nick

12. Luke Gibson

Luke Gibson Silver Supporting Member

Thanks Nick, you have some great stuff too. Let me know if you ever get near Brimingham, I'd love to hear you live. Take Care...

13. rocketboss

Thanks to everyone and a Bump for the weekend Warriors who didn't get a chance to check it out.

14. Shane S

Shane S Member

Very sweet Nick! I have the 1st four amps from 65amps and the Monterey is on my list along with the Rocket 88.

15. gibson08

gibson08 Member

VERY NICE!! Def. a deprture from what you normally play( I kept thinking, man that Wizard is right behind you!!) but that 65 rocked(quite a bit of help from you, though!) Keep up the good work and fwiw I liked the LP tones!

16. I'm Incinerator

I'm Incinerator Supporting Member

Nice amp and awesome playing!

I'm not much of a strat man, but I can't lie and say that the strat wasn't my fave! I've never heard a strat sound that fat before to my knowledge.

Those guys at 65 make some pretty sweet amps. Ofcourse it doesn't hurt if you have good ears and know they way around a fretboard :)

Cheers!

17. drgonzoguitar

drgonzoguitar Member