65Amps Soho making very strange noises.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Axeplyr, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Axeplyr

Axeplyr Supporting Member

Kind of a very loud hiss combined with leaves rustling. Loud enough to drown out more delicate playing. I've replaced the 12AX7's that came in it. I'd assume the EF86 is the most likely culprit, but I don't have a spare.

Any other 65Amps Soho users experience this problem? If so, what fixed it?

Thanks!

2. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

You should email Dan. Yes, the EF 86 would be the first place to look, but it could be any tube, I've even seen those symtoms from a bad rectifier tube.

MikeY

3. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

Yep, EF86's are the most fickle of all the tubes used in guitar amps, especially when the amp is a combo.

MikeY

4. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

That is something I havent figured out yet. These amps are built in a production shop on tag board assemblys and the cabs are made by Mojo. It would seem to me the prices of these amps reflects a custom one at a time build. Ya got to hand it to em they are making a killing off of em.

On the EF86 Tube Dude you better keep a hand full of those on hand and NOS at that.

5. Axeplyr

Thanks, Mike. I will likely replace both tubes one at a time first and see if that alleviates the problem. Though I'm in Australia, I think I can source both locally.

Understandable. Of course it's not really fair to blame the company on a bad tube.

I've owned this one since August. Hope I don't need a new one every 6 months!

6. Axeplyr

Thanks. I'll see if I can actually get these tubes easily in Australia.

How do you know all of this? I hadn't heard any of this until now. What "production shop" builds the amps? And how do you know Mojo builds the cabs?

7. rastaman

rastaman Member

8. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

The EF86 is a Love Hate thing for me....

Yes you should have some spares. If you gig at a reasonable volume, you will prolly need some often.. If you are running a combo for sure, not so much with the head. Nice thing about the London, is if the EF goes south, you still have the Marshall side to get the gig done. The last few EF's I've had started great, and then died fast. Sad thing is I'm hardly playing my amp at the moment. So really just 10-20 hours a month tops. After the 30 day period is over, you own them.... The Last Dario was dead quiet right to the end, then.....that noise:FM. I have close to $200 in NOS EF86's that are bad in just 15 moths...

Still, I love the sound of the London's Vox side..:YinYang

9. Axeplyr

HMMM... I'm not sure I want to go thru that. I like the amp, but not THAT much!

Is it all about the vibration, or do the tubes just have a short life span? For instance, if I were to find a way to completely isolate that EF86 from vibration (i.e move the head off the cab), would I get longer life out of it?

10. rastaman

rastaman Member

I've always heard that those tubes sound great but are more prone to microphics.

11. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

If you set the Head off to the side, any Good EF86 ought to last. I did get most of a Year out of one in my Combo, but YMMV!!!

12. rastaman

rastaman Member

You can get some small O Rings and put them in between the tube sockets and the chassis ( slip them through the screw ) for isolation. Depending on the way the sockets are mounted you may have to drill out pop rivets if they did it a la Marshall ( cheap ) style. A local amp tech here in Atlanta Jeff Andrews http://www.andrewsamplab.com/ showed me that trick.

13. hogy

hogy Member

The EF86 is an amazing sounding tube. It is also very sensitive to vibration. The earliest Vox AC30s used this tube, and within a year Vox redesigned the amp to get rid of it. This was in 1960/61, when the best EF86s ever made were plentiful and common.

None of the current EF86s are anywhere close to that quality.

Again, it is a great tube, but I believe it is a problematic choice in a combo amp.
    Use it in a head format and keep it away from the speaker cab.

14. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I know all this stuff cause I asked Peter Stroud in person. I should say these amps are really good. I hope I didnt come across wrong. I played one of these buggers a while back and it is a very impressive amp.

IMO the Soho is by far the best amp they make. It is worth money though I do think a little pricey.

Im not sure where the Amps are currently being made. My memory sucks so I might get this wrong. I believe they were being made in the Production Shop that was making SWR Amps for Fender. Like I said I might have that wrong or they have moved on once or twice since then.

Anyway dang good amps and Peter Stroud is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet in your life.

The EF86 tube is a tuffy. If I were using that Amp I would only put NOS EF86's in it and I'd be looking for the cream of the crop in those Tubes. I know your in Down Under so I'm not sure about where the best source for you is but Mike at KCANOS Tubes is a good place or Charley at Vacuum Tube Valley is another.

15. Axeplyr

I've heard that too - that's why I'm suspecting the cab vibes are causing it.

Thanks - I'll be sure to get a handful of good ones.

That's how the 65Amps Soho head's EF86 came. The socket has rubber gaskets, and the tube has three o-rings around it. Additionally, I put cushioned packing material between the head and cab. The tube still died!

Thanks Hogy. I'm very happy with the tone for the most part, guess I need to pick up an NOS example and then remove the head from the top of the cab.

Guess that seals it. I need NOS and then need to isolate the head from the cab to eliminate vibration.

I just wanted to know about the source because I know how rumors fly here! Sound like you heard it straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

I just was curious because, though I like the amp, there are a number of minor details that disappoint me about this amp. I'm not going to go into detail here, but they are things I would think would not happen on an amp at this level. I've had prior experience with Mojo cabs, that explains it a little. I'm not a huge fan of Mojo products, unfortunately, but there ya go.

16. Axeplyr

Went to a local tube guy. He had three Winged C (new) EF86 tubes. Tried all three in my amp on the spot, beautifully quiet, and a nice tone to boot. Bought them. He also had some NOS EF86 tubes. I tried out two Mullards, no noises. Bought them on the spot. One of the Mullards stayed in the amp.

So, it's a WEEK later. All of a sudden, that loud rustle is back. The NOS Mullard just went south on me.

Well, I finally got past the honeymoon phase and was sure I found the perfect amp for me. Clean sounds to die for, great gain channel. Almost ready to unload my other amps. Now this.

So, I ask you. I love the Soho's clean sound, best I've ever had. I quite enjoy the gain/bump, though it is not quite Marshally enough to me. Recommend me an amp that meets these criteria, but NO EF86 TUBES! :FM

17. Axeplyr

As you can see in my last post, the NOS Mullard EF86 I just bough lasted all of a week. Only it's not a combo. It's a head and cab, and the head is not on the cab. What the heck is causing these to die so quick?

18. DavidH

DavidH Member

My soho has a crackle on the decay of bass notes as the cab vibrates,i've tried a bunch of different EF86s(and ruled out the other tubes one at a time),including NOS and it still does it to some degree or other.Tried different types of o-rings on the socket,varying the number of tube dampers,cleaning all the tube sockets etc.In the end i just decided to live with it,there's no way it's going anywhere,it's a great sounding amp,especially with a celestion gold.I hardly pay attention to it now,i just got used to it.The cab and handle rattles are louder anyway,those handles look great but thery're noisy as hell.All my favourite amps make funny noises for some reason.The background hiss on this amp is pretty quiet though,my CJ11 is much noisier with the boost pulled.

19. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

I've heard that certain amp makers try to match the vibration caused by a particular EF86 tube with the cabinet itself. Literally swapping tubes until they match the frequencies correctly. Does anybody know if there is any validity to this?

20. myles111

myles111 Member