65amps Stone Pony

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Richards, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Richards

Richards Member

Today, I purchased (via phone order) the new 65amps guitar amp; Stone Pony 25 watt head. I added the Master Voltage feature (costs extra) which allows you to dial down the amps output (wattage). I will be recieving the head in about 2 weeks time , and I will chime in and let you know my thoughts.

As of right now, I am confident the amp exceed its expectations, this will be my first 65 amp, can;t wait to play it!!

Thanks to Sam at 65amps and J.S @ Tone Boutique.

Cheers, Richards

2. Rock72

Rock72 Member

Please tell me more about the amp. Couldn't find any info on their website.

3. Richards

Richards Member

The output tubes will be 7591's (just like all the great Ampeg's) . This tube is described as "half of a 6550". Its plate current is more like a 6L6 or EL34, and it is capable of a lot more power with tremendous frequency response in a small package. The Stone Pony will also come equipped with a ef-86 , 12 ax7's and will be tube rectified. (Please correct if I am wrong)

Tone wise, i hear its definately going to be able to cough up all those Ampeg tones in spades, with some brit flavour ala ef-86...Also "what I heard" is if ya like the guitar tones from albums like Sticky Fingers/Exile on Main Street, alas the name "Stone Pony", then this may be the amp for you, well since I have been a strict Rolling Stones diet my whole life , my curiousity got the best of me, and I had to buy one....

All that aside I'm sure this amplifier isn;t a one trick, "Pony", (Hey , guys at 65amps; remember who came up this cheesy line, when your marketing the amp in the near future!! , send 10% marketing royalties to ....)

I'm sure others can chime in who know the amplifier a hell of alot better then me, I just can;t wait to get mine!!

[If I have presented any misinformation about the amp, please correct me.]

Cheers, Richards

4. Rock72

Rock72 Member

Hi Richards,
    thanks for the info. I'm salivating.... Love my Soho, and is not a stranger to a second 65 Amps in the future. Hope you have the facility to make some soundclips when you get it.

Cheers,
    Christian

5. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

WOW!!! An amp dedicated to the tones of two of my all time favorite records!! :bananaI think Mick Taylors tone on Sticky Fingers is among the best ever recorded in the history of recorded music. And Keith's tone? Don't even get me started. I hope to hear clips of the Stone Pony sooner than later!

texgrind likes this.
  6. soulohio

soulohio Member

WOW!! I loves me my Ampegs! issa bowt time someone did these right!

7. toadcaller

toadcaller Member

You are gonna be loving it. I heard Stroud demo one last week. Flat out awesome amp. Congrats!

8. Richards

Richards Member

Yes I will have the facilities to make some soundclips. Skhan007, I agree with you on Mick Taylors style , ability, and tones, on Sticky Fingers, and Exile. The guitar tones on those albums capture so many moods.

Toadcaller, does the description (tonally) of the Stone Pony compare with what you heard at the demo? I would imagine its a good rock-n-roll amp?

Thanks everybody, Richards

9. Tony Foran

Tony Foran Supporting Member

What a great idea. Keep us posted.

10. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

I got to hear Dan B. play the SP a the LA Amp show and it sounded glorious! Les Paul junior, tune to Keef's preference and viola!

11. Richards

Richards Member

Thanks for your post fusionbear, much appreciated!

Cheers, Richards

12. toadcaller

toadcaller Member

Spot on. Rock and Roll for sure. Lots of bottom end, but no mud. Spectacular.

13. thereeds

thereeds Silver Supporting Member

14. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

I really want to hear this one!

I loved my London but ultimately it lacked a little bottom end and headroom for me. That little extra wattage on this guy will hopefully mean that it has a little more authority but still with that nice sensitive low wattage sort of feel the London had.

I'm really interested to hear more from new owners.

15. choppy7

choppy7 Member

Grant, I know you like to receive a bit of Authority once in a while ! This amp sound very cool in it's description...........as do all their Amps ! I still like my London But..........always keen to try other stuff . Bit hard Down Under :(

16. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

The tyranny of distance as always!

Hopefully I'll get to try a few things in Nashville and I can give you a report.

17. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

I am very interested in the Pony. What is the wattage going to be?

18. Richards

Richards Member

Two different amps, Low wattage Stone Pony is 25W, High Watt Stone Pony is approx 40 Watts. My Stone Pony ships out tommorow , Thursday Oct 30th, I should recieve it by Friday. Cheers, Richards

19. Blauserk

Blauserk Member

Interesting. The Ampeg VT22s/VT40s that I thought the Stones used in the studio (among many others, natch) used 7027A power tubes, and the SVTs they used lives were probably 6146/6550. What Ampegs used 7591s? Gemini?

But if this can cop those Sticky Fingers/Exile tones at non-earth-shattering volumes, I'm waaaaay interested. The "low" output Ampeg in that crew (VT40 combo/V2 head) is a healthy 65 watts, if I recall correctly, and has been described as capable of sterilizing cattle at the distance of a half-mile.

20. timmers

timmers Supporting Member

A low-power, crankable VT-40-sounding amp would be DIVINE. I love my '70 VT-40 like my child but it needs to be louder than a mofo to start grinding (and weighs a metric ton). Cool!