'65Bassman needs a cab to play through

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by canynrochris, Jan 15, 2008.

1. canynrochris

canynrochris Member

New or Old is the question. Should I try to search for an original fender cab with a set of alnico's and do the vintage thing (Or maybe a Sunn from the same period?) or will todays speaker systems be head and shoulders better at presenting the tone of the vintage head? I've listened to alot and have opinions of my own but I'd like to hear the opinions of others and some equipment suggestions before I decide. Also, for bass, 1x15, 2x10, 2x12, or 2x15?

2. scottlr

scottlr Member

I love the look of a matching cab, myself. And you can put any speakers you want in them. That said, years ago I used a Dual Showman head with a 70s Marshal cab that sounded great, too.

3. canynrochris

canynrochris Member

That's the anecdotal reply I was looking for, thanks!

4. Sean Doty

Sean Doty Member

I usually put my '66 through a Marshall 4x12 too.....and it roars.

5. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

Are you about looks or sound?

Or both?

I'm about having the looks feed the sound, if I were a really good guitarist then the nominal difference would probably matter quite a bit, but I am an effete aesthete and I like the way the piggy-back looks . . so don't bid on any of the ones that are coming up cause I want them!! ;)

6. g-nem

g-nem Member

Are you guys using your bassman through the marshall cabs for overdrive or for clean playing? I've been needing to get a cab for my bassman for a while as well.

7. canynrochris

canynrochris Member

Is your marshall cab newer or vintage? I'm intrigued but won't have the opportunity to play through a vintage set before I buy. If you are advising a new set of speakers, I could try em out at Guitar Ctr. Otherwise, Which models would you recommend? Are you playing crunch or clean mostly?
    Thanks!

8. canynrochris

canynrochris Member

Welp Pfflammy, It's gonna be hard to stay away but since I'm not sold on looks first, you might get yours yet!
    (Unless I change my mind and sneak up and grab it!:crazyguy)

9. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

I also play my Bassman heads through Marshall cabs. My primary cab is a mid 70s Marshall 4x12 (1982A model) w/G12H30s - wired to 4 oms of course. I'm mainly a dirty player but, the cleans sound fantastic as well through this cab. Personally, I prefer Celestion speakers with my Fender amps. If you're interested in the Marshall cab option - I would recommend checking out a 1960AX or BX cab. Vintage style (check grill cloth) with Greenbacks. Bassmans sound great through them. You'd need to wire for 4 ohms though.

10. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Bassmans sound great through a variety of cabs. THD makes a really cool closed back 2xd12" that sounds great. I love 'em through a 4x12" too.

Also through a 2x12 open back. What's your goal tonewise for the rig? You rocking out and turning the amp up, or you playing cleaner and using pedals for leads?

IMHO, it's hard to make a good Bassman sound bad. It can be done, but mostly they sound great through lots of cabs. Try a few out in your budget range.

BTW, the '65 Bassmans I've seen all had ceramic speakers, not alnico.

Dana O.

11. canynrochris

canynrochris Member

Thanks DO and SB!
    I'm educating myself on the THD and the Marshalls (4ohms) you've suggested. If I can bring my head in and play through one these, that would be cheery, but I'll probably do the 'Bay thing after much surfing and see what arrives.

12. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

That's right, even the majority of the '60-63 white tolex Bassman cabs used ceramics. Alnicos are a tight fit, you've got to lose the mag caps to get them in but it can be done.

The chances of finding a Marshall 4x12 already wired at 4ohms is slim- most come wired for 16ohms- and the impedance mismatch with the Bassman is going to result in a noticeable loss of high end response. Just fyi.

13. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Bassmans do sound great through a Marshall 4x12", but you must wire the cab for 4 ohms. It's not an 'optional improvement', you'll quite likely blow the output transformer if you run it at 16 ohms.

I had a '64 BF Bassman that I used with a '72 Marshall straight cab with G12M-25s that's probably the best single tone I've ever had - at full stage volume, anyway... and it was LOUD :).

14. canynrochris

canynrochris Member

Less work = good, more work = Bad. My lil '57 Vibrolux outright punishes everyone else I play with and it has an Alnico. That's why I thought of them but if I go the pure vintage route, I'll stick with whatever was appropriate for the year '65. I must say I like the look of the piggy back best on the matching cab.

15. ROKY

ROKY Member

I think you would be extremely happy with an Avatar 2x12; either the
    traditional 2x12 that actually looks a lot like the old Bassman 2x12s or
    you could step up to the Premier Vintage cab which is larger and similiar
    to the Marshall Bluesbreaker cab dimensions(albeit deeper at 12"D..)

You can have the option of open or closed back with these cabs and load
    them with the speakers of your choosing .

With the trad cab you can also get the black tolex/silver grille cosmetics
    that would match well with your '65 .

I bought the Premier Vintage cab a couple of weeks ago with a pair of
    Cele Golds wired to 4 ohms, and it sounds fab !

Great tone, value, and service with Dave at Avatar.

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/list%20guitar.htm

16. canynrochris

canynrochris Member

I don't play at full stage volume currently because most of my gigs are in my house. I'll push a pedal to get the sound I like when others are there but when they aren't, I crank it up to get to the sound I like. I am building a recording room out of a small room in my basement in the comming months and will be insulating like a mad man so I can play as loud as I like. But that's for another thread.

17. canynrochris

canynrochris Member

18. AL30

AL30 Member

I run mine through a 4x10" cab.

AL

19. canynrochris

canynrochris Member

Share which brand and speaker make/model please?

20. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

I own a '63 Blonde Bassman that I run through a Naylor 4x10 w/ stock Naylor 10's. It sounds great! As John Phillips mentioned, it's loud as hell - too loud for most gigs I play.

Sounds like a million bucks though, and it takes pedals great too.

Dana O.