`66 Bandmaster sounds most like which fender?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by WahmBoomAh, Jul 30, 2006.

1. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

I picked up a `66 head and won`t get to play it for a month or so . It actually was my first real amp back in `72 ? maybe ? ,,,foggy on that .

So ..I need to add a cleaner sound to my present setup (Fargen Blackbird,`68 VibroChamp, Penn Tweed Super)

Could anyone school me on the particulars of the circuit?

2 6L6`s ...okay , I know what that does ...
    BUT ..I`ve learned here that no reverb seems to reduce gain and give a higher on the dial saturation point ...
    PLUS ...no tube rectifier should add more punch before saturation ...

I`ve also read here that the bandmaster is identical to the tremolux except the tremolux has a tube rectifier ...TRUE?

BUT .the output tranny is 35watt? SO .....I expect it`ll sound different than it`s SR VR counterparts ....
    Might this be the closest thing to 1/2 of a Twin Rev without reverb???

I know plenty of you all have done the taste test . I have high expectations
    but wonder why the Tremolux goes for alot more cash than the Bandmaster .

Any input will help my curiousity and tendencies towards GAS . THANKS !

2. WahmBoomAh

sunday bumping for knowledge !

3. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

I've got a '67 and the thing is super clean. I run it at about 4 and it's loud enough through the 2x12 to keep up with the band. I use a couple of dirt boxes cuz it starts to break up between 5 and 6 and you have to dime it to get it to really growl. at that point it is ridiculously loud for a 40 watt amp.

The clean sound is warm and round. No mud on the low end and if you don't use the bright switch there is no ice pick on the high end.

The tremolo is great. it sort throws my equilibrium off if i'm standing to close. I can't make any comparisons to other Fender amps as this is the only one I have owned but from my understanding a lot of the fenders from the Blackface era had similar or identical preamp stages. The difference laid in the reverb,tremolo,power output etc..

Scott

4. WahmBoomAh

Yeah Scott ...sounds like the beast I`m after . thanks ....

5. cameron

cameron Member

In terms of "sounds most like" I'd say that it's like a BF Bassman with less headroom, and less low-end authority.

A common mod is to replace the output transformer with the bigger one from a Bassman or a Super Reverb. That's an immediate tone boost, more headroom and low end girth.

6. jcs

jcs Member

dont buy into the bigger ot myth being better, yes it does what cameron states, but thats not why we love bandmasters in the first place..

i have a 62 bandmaster and a 63 tremolux both are plenty loud and i use my EV12L 2x12 if i need more bottom-headroom and punch...

these amps are very finicky about speakers and tubes and need to be serviced (new electrolytics) to really shine...

for most club gigs you will have plenty of clean headroom,enjoy!

tremolux are more rare,they were discontinued in the mid 60s,bandmasters went on for a while,but i LOVE my tremolux and i suspect the GZ34 is the reason it has a softer attack and sag,where the bandmaster is a bit louder quicker in response,of course mine are brownface but i have played plenty of blacks as well...

7. WahmBoomAh

Thanks jcs....... I`ve got to admit the comparison to a Bassman wasn`t the most encouraging post . I don`t need high volume and am hoping the Bandmaster will be all the watts I need . Something about the bassman with my limited exposure to in the past doesn`t feel sweet enough .
    I remember a sweet tremolux I plugged into in a store in about `85 for 10 minutes ....I remember it to this day !

8. cameron

cameron Member

That blonde '62 Bandmaster is a different beast from a '66.

But yeah, teaming up a Bandmaster with a pair of EV 12s will give you ample volume and headroom for most any situation.

9. cameron

cameron Member

Some of that "sweetness" might be due to the tube rectifier. Bandmasters have a solid state rectifier (even the blonde Bandmasters from the early 60s have the solid state recto).

A BF Tremolux, Vibralux or Super Reverb will have a different sort of response. They all have the GZ34 rectifier.

10. Phil M

Phil M Member

I had a '65 Bandmaster and the thing rocked. It kept up with a band, but I was using a Les Paul and it was starting to be a dirty amp at around '4'. Around '6' or '7' it was singing. For whatever reason, I didn't like it as much at 8 or higher. Click in a COT50 or a Time Machine Boost for the harder stuff--yum.

I hope you like it.

11. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

I have a 65' and I love it. I use a 2X12 cab with 12F150 Webers with it and with my strat it stays clean up to around 5,5 on the volume which is LOUD in my book. Takes pedals well too. Classic Fender IMO. Enjoy!

12. Bloozcat

Bloozcat Member

Ditto here. I've got a 65 Bandmaster with NOS 7581's in it and it's clear, clean, warm and round through a 2X12 cab with some older 25watt Weber C12N's. It's plenty loud at 4-5 on the volume.

13. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

14. shizzaq

shizzaq Supporting Member

I have a 66 Bandmaster and a 66 Vibrolux Reverb with the Jensen gold back speakers and if I play the Bandmaster through the VR cabinet the difference in tone between the two amps is subtle. I had JD Newell make me a 1x12 combo cab with a 4ohm Jensen reissue speaker and it makes a killer blackface combo on the cheap. I recently put a Jupiter speaker in it but I think the difference wasn't worth the price difference and I was just as happy with the Jensen reissue. I don't get why people hate on that speaker so much.

15. bluesoul

bluesoul Silver Supporting Member

The Bandmaster will be close to a Pro Reverb minus reverb. Solid state rectifier will feel a little tigher without "sag". Classic Fender sound from that time period. Bandmasters are great values and you will like it!

16. CoachD

CoachD Member

I had a 65 FMIC Bandmaster head for several years (2002-2006) as my #1 amp. I also have/had a '67 and '68 Bassman head to compare it to.

The Bandmaster OT definitely makes a difference. At the time I was using a Marshall 1922 2x12 cab with the 75 watt Celestions. I wanted loud, clean and firm for outside gigs and then use my pedals for dirt. I should have kept the volume below 4 and used a mic if necessary for this application, but didn't know better at the time. I didn't get a proper Bassman/Bandmaster Cab with 2 C12N's until after I'd sold the Bandmaster.

Yes, a 1/2 power twin/showman with less low end is a pretty apt description IMO.

Also the Bandmaster was a little more mid scooped than a Bassman IIRC.

17. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Member

I can't really answer your basic question of what it compares to but I'll talk about mine. I have a 67 that the previous owner turned into a combo using a Fender factory cabinet.
    I took it in for a check up and the tech said there had been some mods specifically to the Vibrato channel only that made it really growl in a good way. I run it with an ABY pedal with my cleans coming from ch 1 and pedals into ch 2. It is glorious. I put a Eminence Texas Heat speaker in it and replaced all the glass with RCA blackplates. It is no doubt my favorite amp out of the dozen or so I own.

18. keithb7

keithb7 Supporting Member

10 years ogo the OP posted a question. I wonder if he ever got his answer. It seems we're still debating it. Lol.

I have a '64 Bandmaster. I had pulled the stock C12 speakers and stored them. For some dumb reason I reinstalled them to check them out again. I had been running WGS ET-65s. OMG the stock C12s are pure anemic crap by comparison. I thought something must be wrong with the head. Plugged in a 1x12 ET-65 equipped extension cab. It all came back to great again. Man I knew I had reservations about those C12Ns. No more reserving comment. What junk!

StratStringSlinger likes this.
  19. bluesoul

bluesoul Silver Supporting Member

Oops...I did not see when this was posted. 10 years ago...yeah he should know by now!

20. jay42

jay42 Member

No one mentioned that it's arguably closest to the (Dual) Showman amps from the same era. The two channels are in phase, so you could do a tweed mod on one side and A/B/A+B. Showman's might be considered to have iron more like a Super Reverb or Bassman than the smaller ones. Not sure about the Showman/Twin OTs.