'66 Guild Starfire IV question

Discussion in '"Vintage" Instruments' started by Kurzman, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Kurzman

Kurzman Supporting Member

Just ordered one but it needs a pick guard (and hardware). A fellow has one from a '67 but I don't know if it would fit. He said the '67 had DeArmond pickups and the '66 had the Guild mini-humbuckers. Does this sound right?
    Also, do you know of any place I could buy a repro with the mounting hardware. I've searched on the net but it's a little confusing.
    Thanks in advance for the help.

2. desertrat07

desertrat07 Supporting Member

3. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

There's the guy at Pickguardian.com is very very good, and reasonable too.

4. Kurzman

I agree about Pickguardian. He's fabricating a guard of a '66 Vox Phantom VI for me right now. But I'm going to need the mounting hardware also and I don't think he does that. I'd also like it to have the Guild logo which he also doesn't do.
    PM going out to desertrat07.

5. Artie Fisk

Artie Fisk Member

By '66, there shouldn't be any DeArmond pickups on any Starfire, as far as I know. Both the '66 and the '67 should have left the factory with the Guild mini-hums. I've only ever seen '66 12-string Starfires with DeArmonds on them...the 12-string Starfire that Guild sent to John Lennon (probably by mistake, meaning it for George Harrison) on their '66 tour had DeArmonds, for example...

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  6. Artie Fisk

Artie Fisk Member

The Guild Guy (New Hope Guitar Traders) is out of business, but he has a stock of vintage Guild parts for sale, still. Email him at jpilzer@guildguy.com.

7. Artie Fisk

Artie Fisk Member

As far as I know, the pickguards for ANY Starfire from that period should fit a IV, BTW. The III and below had a single-ply guard, and the IV and up had a 3-ply, but they're the same size...

8. Kurzman

Thanks for the tips. I've ordered a pick guard assembly from Guild for a SF IV that probably won't fit. The '67 on eBay looks like the space for the bottom pickup has been altered. If The new one doesn't fit I'll check with Mr. Pilzer. I actually bought a guitar from him about 20 years ago at a Philly guitar show. (A bright transparent green Thunderbird style DeArmond baritone.)

9. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Check out the Guild forum. "Let's talk Guild" someone may have a pickguard and Hans will know all about the pickups. There's a lot of confusion on pickups, mini, large etc.

10. Kurzman

Well.....Missed it by THAT much....

I received the new SF IV pick guard from Guild (Cordoba). It doesn't fit exactly (see the fit around the bridge pickup) but you know what, close enough for Rock & Roll.

[​IMG]

11. bob-i

bob-i Member

That pickguard seems to fit just fine. I had a Starfire in the 60s, see my avatar. I never shoulda sold that guitar, but I wanted a Strat and needed money.