68 Custom Deluxe Reverb Vibrato problem

littlemopp

Hey,

the vibrato in my new 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb doesn't work as it should. The speed knob doesn't work from 1 (off) until about 4 or 5. Vibrato's completely off in this knob positions. If I turn it above that point, after about a second or a half, the vibrato starts to work and stays on without any problem. If I turn the speed knob slowly down, it still works perfectly until that same point, then it's off again. I could (almost) live with that, but that's a too fast setting for me, I only use the vibrato slower. The intensity knob seems to work normally as I can vary the intensity once the vibrato is on (so above "that point").

Is it the knob? Or a tube?

The footswitch... I can't understand it's logic so far. I put it in and the reverb went off, I could footswitch it on and off the whole time. The vibrato wen't on, but under "that point" it went off again. Also some time I could footswitch the vibrato on and off, sometimes no. Just now I was able to dial the speed down (with the FS put in), but every time the volume was up in the vibrato (actually tremolo) curve, it sounded slightly distorted. Pulled the FS out again, evrything works fine, no distortion, but also no vibrato at lower speed. Strange!

Thank you for any help!! :)

Off topic background story: I recently bought this 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb in a huge guitar store in Berlin. I tested it for 2 hours at the guitar store with my own guitar and also compared it to my PTP Deluxe Reverb. Wow, I really fell in love with this thing. It sounded three dimensional, nice, warm but glassy cleans, great reverb and VERY nice breakup that I could never get from my DR. Great amps, but they DO VARY from amp to amp. Since the vibrato didn't work properly on this show room amp I wanted to have a new one. It sounded quite different, less pleasing highs and a bit harsh. BIG difference! Could be the speaker but according to the salesman the other amp had only been in the showroom for some days so I doubt that the speaker was already fully broken in. Of course I decided to go for the better sounding amp, although the vibrato didn't work.

I have had four DR now, but this one is the best - although I invested quite some money in the ones before to make them sound better (speaker, tubes, techs etc.). This is a great, great sounding amp!!

autonomous

I had issues with the reverb and trem not working from time to time. Guess what, the plug would get disconnected somehow. Easy fix, just check that first before you go bonkers.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
If there is a poor solder connection on the footswitch Jack, it could be causing trouble whether the footswitch is plugged in or not.
As far as the effect not kicking in until turned up to a higher level, there might be an issue with the tube driving it.
The amp can't be very old, any chance you can get an authorized Fender dealer to investigate a warranty fix?

littlemopp

Yes, warranty check shouldn't be a problem. I just want to check if there is anything I could try alone and possibly avoid the waiting time of the repair. Thanks so far, I will check the tube! V5 is the tremolo tube in DRs as too.

thosk

Gold Supporting Member
Check your tubes. My '68 CDR came with a 12ax7 where a 12at7 should have been( the PI), and the 12at7 in the 12ax7's slot.

littlemopp

Problem solved! I checked the tubes, they put a 12AT7 in V5 as well, everything else correct - so three 12AT7 instead of two. Strange - where they drunk??

Now everything is just fine!

Trending Topics