68 Customs: Is Vibrolux an "upgrade" from Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by major-minor, Mar 11, 2015.

1. major-minor

major-minor Member

I own the Deluxe.

Would the Vibrolux give me a slightly bigger sound? Slightly more headroom?

Big enough difference over-all, or just keep the Deluxe?

2. e???

e??? Member

Yeah more bass, headroom, umph, 2 x 10"s and the ability to play with a loud drummer and still be able to hear your bass notes. And you won't be overdriven at band levels. Well maybe slightly, but not too much...

3. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

No. Different. I prefer the Deluxe to other Fender's personally. When I want the bigger amp tone, I got with my Mesa Mark III head.

4. major-minor

major-minor Member

Yeah, I know "upgrade" is a subjective term. Not really what I mean.

"Different". I guess that's what I mean----and I like what e??? had to say. His description is pretty much what I'm after.

5. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Yeah, his description is good. My Deluxe (its a vintage) would be pretty overdriven to keep up with my band. I use a Badcat Unleash with it, or my Mesa. The DR has a bit more of a mid-focus, but the feel is also different - a bit more touch sensitive than other Fenders. Its hard to beat the DR's reverb as well, especially with an RCA 12AU7 in the reverb driver position.

6. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

From a deluxe reverb to a vibrolux reverb your basically just moving from 6V6 to 6L6 with a different speaker configuration (assuming both are ab763).

7. major-minor

major-minor Member

There's been a little concern with QC on the 68 Deluxe , although I have not had any issues with mine.

Have you guys heard about anything the Vibrolux? If so---I'm going to pass. Plenty other amps to look at.

8. major-minor

major-minor Member

A dumb question: What's the 6L6 going to do that's different from 6V6? I like the idea of two 10 inch speakers.

9. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

Slightly more headroom, a bit louder, and a bigger sound. The tens will be a bit snappier.

10. major-minor

major-minor Member

I'm hearing exactly what I wanted to hear.

Think it's time to go test drive a Vobrolux.

11. whackystrings

whackystrings Member

I bought a 68 Custom Vibrolux Reverb last week and have had 2 band practices so far. Loving it.

What was not obvious to me - having never owned a Fender amp before - is just how well the Bright switches turned off is great for taming the toppiness when using a fuzz.
    Handles pedals really well. I will be offloading pedals that are "non-transparent" in that they seem to colour to the tone in a way that was ok for my previous tube amp (Traynor YCS50, a master volume amp) but diminishes the Fender signature tone (kinda neutralizes it and makes it sound like a HRDlx). So, no more EP Booster for me. Barber drives continue to be winners.

The guy at the store says he purchased a 68 Deluxe that sounds great, is loud, but he admits that it starts to get a bit tubby when running it at band performance levels. The 68 CVR doesn't suffer from that, to my ears.

Still in the honeymoon period with mine.

12. Gridlock

Gridlock Member

I own a BFVR and a SFDR. Both are great sounding amps but the VR really shines at band volumes over the DR. Still love both amps but the Vibrolux is the amp that always amazes me.

I have not tried the new 68 custom VR so I'm not much help.

13. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

^This^ All things being equal, a 12" speaker will have more lows than 2x10 speakers. I think a VR with a 12" speaker would be about perfect.

14. e???

e??? Member

I think you get a lot more low end out of a vibrolux than you would a deluxe though. And 1x 10" yeah your right, but multiple? A super reverb can be pretty bassy with its 10's. That's kinda like how people say that a 15" has less high end than a 12", I don't really buy that. It has way more to do with the amps circuit and tonestack than it does the speaker anyway, unless your talking about a 6" or something, being that small can affect it. But in a super general way of speaking, yeah "all things being equal" a 12" will have more bass. Yeah that's true. Just seems kinda misleading to the OP's question to say that, especially when comparing a deluxe to a vibrolux. A vibrolux with 1-2 12"'s would be really cool. Might have to try that some day...
    Check out Roy Buchanan's "sweet dreams" to hear an awesome vibrolux in action. He's the man... I think of a vibrolux as kind of a more rocknroll super reverb. Breaks up a little sooner and screams a little crazier, and way easier to haul around to practice n gigs. Seems to cut thru a band mix really well too

15. whackystrings

whackystrings Member

I wasn't going for an amp that has really deep lows, anyways. I end up dialing-out a lot of that when I get to band practice. To my ears, the 2x10" config is really punch-y when you start hitting "4" on the volume with the low/high set at moderate levels (w/Strat single coils, that is).