'68 Fender Bassman Head Help

I was just playing through my vintage 1968 Bassman 50W head when all of a sudden there was a loud static-y noise and the amp just shut off. Now it won't turn back on - the jewel doesn't light up, the tubes don't light up, flipping the on/off switch just does nothing. Any idea what might've happened?

Also, I live ~20 minutes east of Hartford, CT, does anybody know of any good amp techs around here?

I checked the outlet it was plugged into and it works for other things, and the amp doesn't work plugged into any other outlet either so it could be the power cord or a blown fuse in the amp or something.

Steppin' Wolfe

Silver Supporting Member
Same old question.....has the amp ever been recapped? If not, prepare for that. Definitely it is tech time. Hopefully someone will clue you into some local help.

toddincharlotte

Silver Supporting Member
Mine blows fuses every couple of months. Been meaning to take it to the tech but have had time. Try replacing the fuse. Sounds like exactly what happens to mine when it blows.

bob-i

I'd start by checking the fuse, if it blows again it could be a bad tube. Pull the tubes, put in a new fuse and see if it blows the fuse again.

zenas

It has all the symptoms of a blown fuse. Fuses blow for a reason and that reason should be found.
Two ways to do that. One is take it to someone who knows what he's doing like a tech.
The other is keep replacing it when it blows, then maybe wrapping it in tinfoil or stuffing in a 20 amp fuse when you're sick of replacing them. That way the part causing the problem will hopefully start to smoke. Or the power transformer goes up in smoke.

Go with option one.

Trending Topics