68 Fender Deluxe Reverb help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GibsonSGgirl, Jul 5, 2008.

1. GibsonSGgirl

GibsonSGgirl Silver Supporting Member

OK all,

it's been awhile since I've played my 68 DR (ie, a few months) and I was playing it today with a few pedals and my SG, and it started making a high-pitch, feedback noise that sounded like it was coming from either the speaker or tubes or something. I thought maybe it was the pedals, so I ran the cord straight from the SG to the amp, and it's definitely the amp. It will make that noise even if I have the volume turned down to 0. I turned the standby on and let it sit for a few mins, then turned it off, and the noise seemed to disappear, but then it changed to a sort of static sound, like you get on a cordless phone.

The amp is in my playroom, and the floor is carpeted and there's a TV but its not right next to the amp.

The noise seems to go away for awhile when I tap on the amp or even turn some of the knobs and teh end of the guitar cord at the input. Weird.

Anyway, any idea what the awful noise could be and how I can get rid of it? It was doing a similar thing a little over a year ago and it needed a new reverb tube, but it's been fine ever since.

I've tried to do a video that will let you hear the exact high pitch noise it's making. I will upload it shortly.

2. embot

embot Member

It sounds like you might have a bad or microphonic tube. Since you had the same problem with the reverb tube, I'd replace that tube first. If that does not solve the problem I'd replace the other preamp tubes one at a time with a known good tube.

You might also ask this question over the Amp Technical Info section. A lot of the members who frequent that section are pretty knowledgeable with this kind of stuff.

3. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Does turning the reverb up and down affect the noise? A high pitch feedback that doesn't go away with volume control setting might be a reverb send or recovery tube (3rd and 4th tubes from right looking in from back) going out. The static could be tubes, solder joints, tube pins, plate load resistors etc. Tubes are always a pretty good place to start.

hunter

4. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

5. Cowboy

Cowboy Member

Microphonic tube. Not too complex in a DR - pull and replace. Sometimes even swapping them will do.

Cheers, :BEER
    Cowboy