1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

68 Plexi Super Lead Tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by redplexi, Nov 17, 2005.

1. redplexi

redplexi Member

1968 Plexi Super Lead tone without the $$$$ Price Tag. Also something useable at Normal Volumes and More reliable than the Real Thing.

I own and have owned a Few Vintage Plexi's, and they are Great, but they aren't reliable and I look at them as an investment anymore.
    So who is doing an exact Replica with some sort of Master, or which avenue do you suggest to achieve that Tone without Splitting your ears.

2. meterman

meterman Member

TopHat Emplexador 50w. Killer Marshall tones with lots of versatility, Vintage and Modern modes with EQ voicing switches, great master volume. Amazing amp, vintage Marshall tones with modern reliability and versatility...

3. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

-Straub Cantus is a killer plexi style amp with a very good master volume. Even with the built in boost engaged she's still all about vintage tone.

-Blockhead BLK100 is as close as you will ever get to an "exact" replica of an original 1967 plexi. Of course that means she's a non-master but a damn good sounding and very well built amp none the less.

-Mako Amplification Makoplex; this is now my all time favorite plexi style amp ever period. She can do from incredible vintage tones all the way up to smoking hot rodded plexi and beyond. A richness and depth to the tone that few amps I've ever heard can come close to and lead tones that will give you goose bumps. Seriously!:eek: Oh yeah, she's a master volume amps too.

4. raul

raul Member

you need to check out metroamp.com . George has awesome amps and can make you just about anything you want! do i have one? no! it's on my wishlist. he can make a damn nice replica of a 68 Super Lead with a PPIMV if you want. that's a dream amp for sure!

5. retro

retro Member

6. redplexi

redplexi Member

Here my Thing. I'm looking for that Good Trower/Hendrix Tone. How much Gain can you get without those Passive Strat Pickups Just getting too noisy. A Plexi is fairly Clean until you Crank it. Will all of the Amps mentioned get good Distortion without A Strat being useless?

7. redplexi

redplexi Member

What about a Komet? The Clips sound Good.

8. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

Komet sounds killer with a strat. Any of the other three I mentioned above also work beautifully with single coils and are each very low noise. Another amp I didn't mention since you were strictly speaking plexis is the Two Rock Emerald Pro. This is in my mind the best of the entire TR line up. It has absolutely lushess, glissening cleans and can get blistering hot with a surprisingly plexish (but better!) character without breaking a sweat. If you could slip out to western Maryland I would love to turn you loose in my stable for a day long tone quest.:D :dude

9. redplexi

redplexi Member

Man If I had the Time, I'd take you up on that. This Gear Page is killing me, I've Bought 4 Amps off of recomendations from this site. I've liked them all, but still haven't found What I'm looking for. Maybe I don't know what I'm Looking for? But still I'd like to get an Amp and Be happy and Play, rather than reading the GearPage for the answer.

10. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

I've been where you are before so I know how you feel. One thing all the years of going through sooooo many pieces of gear has done for me is allow me to truly figure out what "my tone" or tones really were. Another words, not just what amps are great but what amps are great for me. There have been many great amps that just didn't work for me. Building a personal data base, so to speak, of experience with how certain amps react to my style of playing and sound best to my ears when "I'm" playing them has been the biggest benefit. So while the search may seem disheartening along the way you are building a base of priceless knowledge on what does and does not work for you. Which when you finally do find that magic formula you will definitely know it. Any way... I am serious about the offer and if you ever do get some time you are welcome to drop by jam away.

11. redplexi

redplexi Member

I do appreciate the offer, maybe in the future we can get together.

Actually you helped me decide to buy the OD-100 and my SJT 10/20.

I have to ask, if you had to sell all but 2 of your amps which would you keep. You can PM me the answer if you'd like.

12. pureoldsound

pureoldsound Member

13. Greazygeo

Greazygeo Member

+100

14. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I picked up one brand spanking new for a good deal. Most of the Booteek stuff is around the same if its a 100 watter.

Pop the Bright Cap off the back of the HT Volume pot stick a 470k resistor in it and get sustain at any volume. Cool little trick called the Parkhead Mod. Full tone at levels you can handle and when you need the 100 watts its there. :dude

:)

15. mmorse

mmorse Member

That Makoplex sounds killer! And at a reasonable price. :dude