68 Princeton Reverb amp buzz

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by murraythek, Jul 26, 2013.

1. murraythek

murraythek Member

Im getting a distinct and annoying buzz on a newly acquired 68 PR. It was something I was aware of during the sale, so it helped in the negotiating. The buzz is present once the volume gets over 4-5 and when hitting low notes. I have troubleshooted the following:

- tubes replaced, still buzz
    - reverb tank removed, still buzz
    - baffle and speaker removed...no buzz!

Nothing appears to be wrong with the speaker, but its vibrations are causing that buzz once screwed to the cabinet and baffle.

Thoughts?

2. Kyle B

Kyle B Supporting Member

Try pushing on the edge of the speaker, see if you can find the magic spot that makes the buzz go away. It might be simple as a little crazy glue on the speaker surround.

3. murraythek

murraythek Member

I dont think its the speaker. I have the speaker still attached to the baffle and the buzz is gone when removed from the cab. The buzz returns once reattached to the cab.

4. ekp

ekp Member

Your problem may be mechanical, such as a loose handle or the baffle is not seating all of the way around. Or, the amp is not fastened to the cab. The worst possibility is a cab that is becoming unglued.

Have a great day, Eric

5. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

You're gonna need another baffle or speaker to figure it out for sure. If you were near me, I cold help you out.

Adult guitar players need spare speakers laying around... just like adult home owners need extra lumber laying around (for no particular reason ; )