68 Pro Reverb Consensus

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Boogie92801, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

Drip edge and original speakers.

What is a fair price for one of these? Is 1000-1100 ok in good shape?

Should I hold out for a blackface? Or wait for Vibrolux to come along?

2. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

3. mcknigs

mcknigs Supporting Member

That price looks reasonable to me, assuming it's in pretty good shape cosmetically and doesn't need work (caps, tubes?).

If it were me I wouldn't hold out for a Blackface. I've been pretty happy with BF'ed SF Fenders. I'm not an expert but I don't know as there's much difference between a '68 SF PR and a '67 BF PR.

Re: PR vs VR... I guess your less likely to find yourself in a situation where you're underpowered with the PR, though there's not a *huge* difference. Do you have reason to believe you would prefer the 2x10" config to the 2x12"?

Of course you've probably considered all of the above already.

-Scott McKnight

4. Lammy

Lammy Member

Those drips are pretty much Blackface amps for the most part, most are exactly other then cosmetics( dont forget they are also becoming pretty rare and real desirable)...I think the price is fair, cant you get a blackface for about the same price? 1200?

5. myles111

myles111 Member

Great amp

Good price if it were here in L.A.

6. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

Good points all. Really I need something for outdoor gigs. I use a lightning for indoors and I have bandmaster that I am giving to my daughter.

The +'s of the vibroluxe is size and I think they are more valuable even if I have to pay more. I would also asume it has a tighter bottom end (I do not like the flabby bottom on the bandmaster - especially affter playing a matchless for a while).

The pro is probably better for outdoor gigs and the truth is it will only be needed about ten times a year as most of the time we play indoors.

I am just fickle. I have also gone the other dirrection and thought about a Vibro King!

All of the black face pros are at least 1,500 and I have seen some for as much as 25!

The mint vibroluxes are aproaching 3g's these days.

7. Mark C

Mark C Member

Having played most of the Fender line up, I think the Pro Reverb is tough to beat. Vibroluxes are expensive, I think, only because Roy Buchanan played them. The Pro is like the black sheep - no one famous was known for playing one, so all the wannabes who collect amps and never play them aren't interested, however the amp sounds killer. One of the few decent deals left in vintage amps/guitars.

8. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

Silverface Pro reverbs usually bring anywhere from 650-up depending on condition, and how much anyone is really willing to pay. Just like anything else.
    That said, I'm a huge fan of all the Fender Pro Reverbs, including the Rivera designed ones, they're great sounding, and I never had a bad one no matter what year, or cosmetics it sported.
    Pro reverbs are probably the most consistant Fenders ever built IMO,
    and I own or have owned damn near every Fender model ever made.
    Doug

9. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

The silverface amps (IMO) never seem to get that "open" breathing tone I expect from a good Fender amp. I have had the pleasure of rewiring a few for blackface specs and still am not happy with the "won't give it up" tone. In general,there seems to be a midrange funk about them I don't personally prefer. I would spend a few more $ and get a blackface Pro Reverb. Not only will it sound better, (IMHO), but will appreciate more over time. An investment you can enjoy.

10. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

Well I am glad you chimed in Doug. The bandmaster I got from you is going to my daughter and the Pro will probably take its place (she is young and need to stand in front of a piggyback- combos aren’t cool anymore I guess).

I'll have to give you a call if and when the pro need servicing.

By the way Dan (the Relics), is going to be playing at the Huntington Beach surf museums annual summer bash, he is pretty stoked about it. For a surf band that is like the super bowl - Dual Showman through a set of JBL’s!:AOK

11. HammyD

HammyD Supporting Member

If it is a '68 Silverface, check the chassis. Mine was a silverface cosmetically but when we pulled the chassis it was a blackface stamped May 7, 1967. And my dad bought it new for me in '71.

The tech did a cap job and tubes, etc. and put in some new speakers as the orginal were shot a long time before. Replaced the face plate and the grill and it sounds wonderful.

Tomo has a couple of BF Pro's as well.

[​IMG]

12. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

It depends on the gig. I love my Vibrolux Reverb 210, light enough to comfortably carry and loud enough for most of the gigs we play BUT I loaned it to a cowboy at the last outdoor jam and he just couldn't get enough clean overhead for his type of music (real old school Tele stuff). OTOH, while the Pro has enough power for that gig, it's just too damn big and heavy to be a favorite amp for me.

13. Tomo

Tomo Member

Just keep your 68' Pro Reverb. I have Vibrolux Reverb.... it's nice amp.
    for me it's not loud enough (good clean headroom).

If you change speakers... you can make your Pro Reverb
    much better tone. Great simple combo amp.

Tomo

14. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

I have a near mint, all original 66 Pro Reverb. It is as good a sounding BF Pro R as i have ever played. I think some of the later 70s silver face Pro Reverbs sound every bit as good, and maybe better. You can get them for 7-8 hunderd bucks. :eek:

15. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

[​IMG]

here is the pic of hte amp.

what says you

Sorry, I can't make the link work... never mind

16. Don L

Don L Member

Love my '68 PR. Sounds about the same as the '67 PR I had about 8 years ago...

17. Shea

Shea Member

But with a tube rectifier.

Shea

18. daneswede1

daneswede1 Member

I got a line on an all orignal 67' Pro Reverb for $2100 im trying to get a hold of. Its just im buying so much gear right now its tough but I have it on layaway. The amp is super clean and 100% all original! The thing that amazes me about these amps is that when i ran my Analogman TS9808 Brown mod pedal through it it truly shined! Noe all fenders take well to overdrive pedals! Then i quasi-boosted the TS9808 with a DS1 Keeley to kick it into lead territory and this was truly a magic event.

I am very Much a Marshall guy and as of only the past year or so have I been hunting down this amp and got lucky! Still got to get the right cab for my Marshall 1959HW

19. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Tomo,

I have an all original 1965 Pro Reverb and have been wanting to pull the speakers and put them away. Primarily because I don't want to blow them. What do you suggest? I've thought of Celestion Heritage G12Ms to give it a bit more mids. I liked the Cowtipper 45 with G12H30s. Any thoughts?

20. Babaji

Babaji Member

...The Pro reverb "IS" Fender's best club amp IMHO. Half the power of a Twin with 2X12" speakers, and a sweet spot at about 4 1/2-5 on the volume control. Silver faced PR's can be redily converted to blackface and with a few tweaks be as good or better than the BF's. Install a pair of Vintage 30's and the amp will be "Bullet Proof"(You or the guy you loan the amp to won't blow the speakers from playing too loud!). They will also increase your clean headroom and will break up nicely at higher volumes. The early SF's also have BF style cabinets which is a good thing! Fender switched to the dadoed baffle boards in the early 1970's(72?). These amps have the grille cloth mounted on a piece of particle board that is "Velcroed" to the baffle board...A very bad idea! The paticle board dryrots over time and then cracks the first time anyone tries to pop it off. The original BF cabinet/baffle design allows you to easily replace or clean the grille cloth, or the baffle itself(should you want to bulk it up for road use with the vintage 30's).
    Bill