'68 Pro Reverb or '68 Super Reverb?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by leftcoastal, Jul 11, 2019 at 8:47 PM.

1. leftcoastal

leftcoastal Member

Thinking of selling my deluxe reverb and getting one or the other. I'd like a little more headroom and shimmer. Always liked the sound of 2x12 over 2x10 or 1x15 but never played 4x10. Not real concerned with breakup as I'll use pedals.

Not many around locally unfortunately so I could use some help. Guessing the 4x10's give off a bigger footprint and have more sparkle. Anyone ever played a Super through 2x12's?

Would love to hear your guys' input!

2. 70 Mach 1

70 Mach 1 Supporting Member

PR clone.
    Why but 50 year old electronics when you can have brand new with some modern features and better speakers.

leftcoastal likes this.
  3. leftcoastal

leftcoastal Member

I hear ya I've been eyeing the David Allen Old Flames for years.

Outside of not having reverb I was also thinking of something like a bassman. I've got a nice 2x12 cab here i can use.

4. hogy

hogy Member

Super Reverb, all day long. I've had multiples of both, and the Super Reverb is a much better sounding amp than the Pro Reverb. The Pro sounds anemic and thin by comparison. Doesn't have the depth, bass or punch of the Super.

And I would definitely go vintage, without a doubt. Get the real thing. In this crazy current situation a practice amp like a Princeton Reverb is worth twice what a Super is worth, and the Super is the best reverb amp Fender ever made. So you can pick up a blackface model all day long for less that $1500, and often cheaper. Get a good tech to go through it and replace what needs replacing, and it will be nearly bullet proof.

TravisE, sideman, Abram4235 and 9 others like this.
  5. leftcoastal

leftcoastal Member

Have you played your SR through a nice 2x12 cab? There's a SR head around that is a late 70's.

Ideally I'd like to get a '68 or older but if I can get one for half that price and have it blackface I'd be open to that.

6. hogy

hogy Member

No! that 2 Ohm 4x10 configuration is where much of the Super's magic resides. I would not get a cut up one, and I would not go newer than '68.

One of the best Supers I've owned was a bone stock drip edge '68. I have several older ones and thought I needed to clean up my storage, so I sold it a year ago for $1k. Basically gave it away.

Old Man Old Wood and leftcoastal like this.
  7. leftcoastal

leftcoastal Member

I thought that might be the case.. What 10" speakers work well in them?

From a clean shimmery standpoint how do they sound compared to a twin?

8. stevel

stevel Member

I played a PR once.

I had a SF SR for many decades as my main amp.

There is something glorious about the 3D sound made by those 4 speakers.

I now play a Twin Reverb and love the fullness, but sometimes miss the way that Super sounded - hard to describe, but it was just "right" in every way.

So my son an I are at the store one day - he also plays guitar but was a beginner - knew my amp's sound, knew modeller sounds from his Mustang, and had heard a few low wattage tubers I had around the house and a 2x12 Marshall JCM 900 I had.

I'm just plugging into the various Vibroluxes and so on - the 68 Customs had been out a bit and the Bassbreaker series had just come out.

Then in the corner is a Pro Reverb (can't even remember know if it was BF or SF but I'm thinking SF).

I walked over and plugged in and my son's eyes lit up and said, "that is the best amp I've ever heard".

Granted, he hadn't heard many, but he couldn't stop talking about it on the way home. "It was just...cool" (he never heard my Super though ;-).

I honestly walked away with the same impression.

It was, as you'd expect, kind of halfway between the Super and the Twin (tone wise in terms of EQ shape)

However, my personal preference is still for the sound I still hear in my head to this day that was the Super.

The "footprint" is the same as the other amps - it's the height that'll get you. I mean, it's absolutely perfect for sitting a beer on.

but also, if you use the tilt-backs you've got a much bigger surface area pointing at you than with the 2x or 1x combos.

but hauling it - if you lay it on its back it does take up much more space of course. I used to be able to lay it down in my trunk and then stack my pedalboards on top, gig bags around, and guitars towards the back of the car and everything fit. Now though I have a much smaller trunk and don't think I could carry it without dripping the back seats.

So that's something that might be an issue.

But if I could own another Super, I would in a heartbeat.

9. woof*

woof* Member

The *magic* is in the 4x10’s

Old Man Old Wood likes this.
  10. Ravindave_3600

Ravindave_3600 Member

Shimmer needs bigger. That's the Super and 4 speakers.

But I've got a bf Pro Reverb that's wonderful...it roars, howls, sings, makes everything thicker and juicier. Perfect for blues and my teles and Dot. Love it.

Moral of the story: horses for courses.

Pretty smart kid you've got there, Steve :)

11. easyed

easyed Supporting Member

I have a '69 SR, blackfaced, with original 4x10 CTS alnicos. It's as good as they say. Never played a pro. Haven't felt the need.

leftcoastal likes this.
  12. Gridlock

Gridlock Member

I’ve owned two BF Super Reverbs and one SF. Loved all three, but I’ve never owned a Pro Reverb. I’d probably buy a BF Pro Reverb for the 2x12 and 35 watt package.

leftcoastal likes this.
  13. leftcoastal

leftcoastal Member

You guys arent making this easy :bonk

I kind of thought the height of that SR cab really helped project the sparkle/shimmer. I'm not worried too much about packing her up. I

I may have to just pull the trigger on a SR 4x10. I should mention I have a 4x10 baffle for my ext cab, but dont have speakers. After all said and done though it'd be cheaper to just by a SR with speakers I'd imagine than experiment with my deluxe and a 4x10 assortment. My deluxe sounds glorious with the 2x12's tho I must say! Just not very clean.

14. Steve73

Steve73 Member

Owned lots of both, I prefer Pro Reverbs.

pickaguitar and leftcoastal like this.
  15. leftcoastal

leftcoastal Member

Why is that?

el guapo likes this.
  16. woof*

woof* Member

I’ve owned both.
    Pro is an awesome amp too, but it did not have the tone and sparkle of my Super Reverbs until I bought a 1x15 baffle from Larry Rogers (Rip) and installed a 15” Evm. That made it essentially a Vibroverb. Great amp now and has the sparkle...but I still prefer the Super Reverb.

leftcoastal likes this.
  17. leftcoastal

leftcoastal Member

Ah 1/2 of SRV'S setup. With an SR in stereo I bet that would be heaven.

18. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

This.

Stupidly sold my drip edge SF Super years ago.

Super and Vibrolux...best BF amps fender ever made.

TELECOLLECTOR and leftcoastal like this.
  19. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

20. Ltsft

Ltsft Supporting Member

Agreed. i had a nice 4x10 cab for awhile and every head i played through it had that 3d awesomeness.

woof* and leftcoastal like this.