'68 Pro Reverb or '68 Super Reverb?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by leftcoastal, Jul 11, 2019 at 8:47 PM.

1. leftcoastal

leftcoastal Member

I just measured the deluxe extension cab I had made with a 4x10,2x12,1x15 baffle. It's nearly dead nuts to the overall dimension of the SR cab. While I won't achieve more headroom it may be a fun experiment to play with some 10's. Looks like the reverb tank is similar in size to the SFDR.

Trying to get my head around pricing some speakers that will give a good interpretation of that fender shimmer with my SFDR. So far looking at Weber 10f150, 10a125.

If this deluxe ext cab sounds good with my SFDR I may just grab a quilter for bigger cleans to use with this cab. Not sure just yet tho..

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019 at 1:14 PM
  2. Ltsft

Ltsft Supporting Member

Those are great speaker choices, check the Emi legend 1028 and 1058 too. I have had both and liked the Emis better plus they are lighter. If you like a more forward, aggressive sound, the webers are awesome for that. All good choices though and you can eq/volume them to sound similar.

leftcoastal likes this.
  3. leftcoastal

leftcoastal Member

Thanks for the heads up. Ill keep an open mind for Emi's. Not opposed to them but I've mainly used various webers.

Just played for a bit through my 2x12's (jbl k120). Sounds really good but they really want some more iron I can feel. Will be a nice change going to some lighter watt more articulate speakers.

4. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

The SR might be the popular one but I once played a PR at a guitar center in Dallas and it was everything I could have ever wanted (but I couldn't afford it)

This one in particular was extremely 3d. Big volume, great shimmer...notes on steroids imo

I don't know if that's common for PR but I never stopped thinking about it since

leftcoastal likes this.
  5. Rumble5

Rumble5 Member

Get the Super for shimmer and the Pro for breakup.

leftcoastal likes this.
  6. blackba

blackba Member

I prefer the super reverb. I have played some pro reverbs, but not a head to head comparison.

However, I have compared a 72 super reverb with CTS alnicos with my 69 bandmaster reverb through emu ga sc64 in an opened back 212. Using my power station, I tried the super through the bandmaster cab and bandmaster through the super cab. What I came away with was that 50% of what I liked better about the super was the output transformer and 50% was the 410s.

Now you can but a Bassman output transformer in a pro, vibrolux, or bandmaster reverb, but you still don’t get the 410s.

leftcoastal likes this.
  7. leftcoastal

leftcoastal Member

The super stayed cleaner longer yes? I was considering a bandmaster reverb head but theure fetching good money now.

8. GeetarGoul

GeetarGoul Supporting Member

I used to own two Blackface Super Reverbs. One was a 66' and one a 64'. In my experience the type of speakers makes a huge difference. The 64' had the original jensens with the little blue stickers on them and the 66' had CTS. The 64' is one of the few pieces of gear that I kind of regret selling.

9. leftcoastal

leftcoastal Member

Did you ever run the '66 through the '64's speakers and achieve the same results?

10. GeetarGoul

GeetarGoul Supporting Member

Sadly I never did. I did daisy chain them together for a huge sound!

leftcoastal likes this.
  11. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

I’ve had both, my 64 Super Reverb was amazing. And despite having owned many, I’m not a blackface guy really (except for strictly cleans). Didn’t bond with the Pro Reverb.

leftcoastal likes this.
  12. leftcoastal

leftcoastal Member

I bet that sounded great :dude

13. Steve73

Steve73 Member

I prefer 12’s to 10’s and I prefer the softer, more compressed feel of the PR to the SR. Both are great for different applications. I found the PR to be a better chameleon with pedals in front. YMMV....

leftcoastal likes this.
  14. leftcoastal

leftcoastal Member

That makes sense.. I've always felt 12's less focussed and warmer. Makes sense they'd take pedals better.

15. blackba

blackba Member

The super reverb had more sweetness, punch, and clean headroom compared to the bandmaster reverb. I have been a bit surprised at the current prices on the bandmaster reverb, but really about everything worth having has gone up.

I do have a few mods on my bandmaster reverb, but I did the test before I modded it. I use the ground switch for a negative feedback switch, goes from stock to 68 custom, to no neg feedback. I also have a push pull pot for the vibrato intensity knob to take the intensity pot load out of the circuit, gives you more gain and volume.

leftcoastal likes this.
  16. leftcoastal

leftcoastal Member

Ya a guy locally is asking 1250 for his drip edge. Not really all that clean either.

Nice mods I like the negative feedback move. Ive got a champ with a variable raw dial. Adds a nice bit of hair all the way through to ZZ. Also disabled the Vibro for the same added gain. :JAM

17. itstooloudMike

itstooloudMike Member

I had a ‘67 Pro-Reverb, with the factory orange frame JBLs. It ate Super Reverbs for lunch. But it also weighed a ton.

18. Khromo

Khromo Supporting Member

I have a '65 Pro Reverb Amp with period correct ceramics, and a '68 Super Reverb Amp with CTS alnicos.

At low to moderate volumes the Pro Reverb Amp sounds a little warmer and more open to me. At higher volumes, the Super starts to wake up and grab the room a little more.

That's a very close and comfortable call, because they are both killer amps and either choice is great. Realistically, the volumes I use them for is on the low side for top performance from the Super, so I would lean toward the Pro Reverb if I had to choose.

I used to keep a '72 Super Reverb in my shop for customers to demo guitars. I sold a ton of guitars with that amp! Guys would be in there all day long playing it, tilted back, they would sometimes get into a zombie-like state as they gazed into the grill. I was afraid to wake them up during these episodes, because I figured they would go nuts or something, lose their minds,...That could happen.