'68 Vibro Champ - Weber Alnico Sig 8S

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mbratch, Mar 7, 2006.

1. mbratch

mbratch Member

The '68 Vibro Champ I purchased has the original Oxford Fender speaker in it. Nice cleans at mid volume, and a really flappy sounding break-up as you increase in volume. Useful for some things, but pretty flabby overall.

I noticed many people were recommending the Weber Alnico Signature 8S, so I just got it today and tried it out (it's pre-broken-in).

The Weber is remarkably similar to the original Oxford in the clean to slight break-up volume range in both tone and volume. The difference is when you crank it further on up to 10, the Weber has a more useable heavy break-up/overdrive than the Oxford. I'm not absolutely sure, but it might even break up just slightly sooner on the volume control than the Oxford.

Other people said the Weber would be louder, but I haven't experienced this.

Overall, this is a nice replacement speaker for the (Vibro) Champ.

Anyone else have experiences with this or other replacement speakers they'd like to share? (Or did I miss a (Vibro) Champ speaker replacement thread somewhere?)

2. Boogs

Boogs Member

Got the same speaker in my Valvetrain Champ clone - nice snappy 8"er.

I think it's perfect for giving a Champ a more aggressive tone, and it costs as much as a pizza delivery.

3. trisonic

trisonic Member

I use the Eminence 8". I've lost the farting out (but I had the amp overhauled at the same time) - it's definitely louder! The website mentions the Georgia Satellites sound and I understand what they are talking about. Definitely more low mids but still recognizably a Vibro Champ. I like it but would like to compare to the Weber - frankly that sounds more "me", you know.

Best, Pete.

4. DavidS

DavidS Supporting Member

I have the same speaker (Weber Alnico Signature 8S) in my 70 Vibro Champ and found the results to be exactly the same as yours. Not much louder, if at all, but definitely sweeter cleans and better distortion.

5. Boogs

Boogs Member

My son's single-6V6 Nau Electronics amp uses the Emi 8". Defiinitely more low mids as you say, and nice overall. Almost too much low-mids, though, IMO. I think the Weber is punchier and clearer, but that's just to my ears and with my gear.

6. Reeek

Reeek Member

I have a Weber 8A125 in my '74 Vibro Champ but I have the original Oxford stashed for period correctness.

The Weber 8A125 is a sweet speaker for this amp although it "just" makes it with the bell cover on.

7. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

I just bought the Weber 8A125T for my 78' VC. I hope it delivers according to the description

"Bright, detailed, later breaker. Brighter and chimier than the standard 8A125, compressed/fattened at high volume.
    Will not fit in tweed and early BF Champs"

8. Reeek

Reeek Member

You'll like it a lot. I'm certain. As for fit, the issue is not the cab, it's the power tube almost hitting the frame and bell cover but it works. The speaker fits in the cab just fine but I did have to remove the chassis to install the speaker. Once in, it works great and I have the bell cover on in my amp.

9. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

If anybody's "on the fence" about which $20 job , the Weber 8S is a much better move than a Jensen "MOD" .

For "about the same $ only Jensen-flavored " , the Jensen C8R for $30 is by far the mo'betta way to go than a MOD-8 .

Reeek , is it a "not enuff finagleing room " issue because of the trannies/baffle screws & such on the install ?
    Haven't tried mine in a regular cab yet , the only 8 I have needs a re-tolex . Thanks again , btw . ;)

check yer mail , Pete .

10. Reeek

Reeek Member

You nailed it exactly. The fit on late BF's and all SF's works fine but you have to work around the trannie, etc to get it in. That's all.

11. tiptone

tiptone Silver Supporting Member

Hey I've got a 74 Vibro too, just out of curiousity what is your serial number?

12. erksin

erksin Member

I put the ceramic Sig 8 in my '65 BFVC and noticed a significant increase in volume over my stock Oxford - a little more headroom too. I don't really care for the tone of the amp when it's maxed, but on 6-7 it's got a GREAT tone. Dropping a 5751 in v1 makes it less fizzy too...

13. Reeek

Reeek Member

I'll have to check when i get home. PM me so I don't forget ;)

14. Birdy

Birdy Member

Got a '76 Vibrochamp with a 10" Weber 125 and did the Gerald Weber tweed mod...took the bass/treble out(negative feedback mod) and also slowed down the vibrato. Put in new JJ tubes also. Unreal tones with my p90 Les Paul or mini-hum Firebird V. With my 4 ohm THD Hotplate it gets a nice complex *grind* at all volume levels. :cool:

15. mbratch

mbratch Member

I'm thinking the ceramic has the edge in volume over the alnico when it comes to the sig 8 series.

16. majorledhead

majorledhead Member

I put a weber 8a125 in a 69 vibro champ that I also had to recap and do an output transformer. The weber was a huge upgrade in holding the bottom end together. I ended up selling it on ebay and the new owner just loved the whole package.A real blues machine.

17. royd

royd Member

I see that Birdy has a 10 in his... I brokedown and built a new cab for my Champ and put a 12 inch Blue Dog in it. It sounds amazing and is loud enough for a soft band

18. JJman

JJman Member

Also have a '74 VC with the 8a125. Mine would have hit the cap can if I hadn't replaced the original with one that happens to be shorter. I could have either rotated with new studs or cut off that "tang" on the frame of the Weber.

[​IMG]

19. Reeek

Reeek Member

Good point. My cap is changed and shorter too.