$69.00 for a ticket to see a tribute band?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Headshok, May 10, 2016.

1. Headshok

Headshok Member

This past Saturday, "The Machine" was putting on a Pink Floyd show at the Alabama Theater in Birmingham. A decent seat was $69.00. I was going to take my wife but passed at that price. It sucks when a tribute band charge so much. I can only imagine how much Gilmour is getting on his current tour. I understand they need to make money, but isn't that excessive for a tribute band?

2. slybird

slybird Member

I just looked them and that show up. It looked like it was with almost a full orchestra behind them and the show sold out last year. Important details you left out.

If the place was 80-90% full they got the price right. If the place was 60% full or less they definitely got the price wrong. If the place was packed they left money on the table and may have helped the resale ticket vendors.

3. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

the nerve of some bands...thats like $2.30 per band member
    greedy!

[​IMG]

jiml, sacakl and JiveTurkey like this.
  4. markjsmith

markjsmith Member

I saw Jason Bonham's tribute to Zep for 1/3 that price and Jason has actually played with Zep on a reunion or two! Actually they killed it IMO!

5. Headshok

Headshok Member

Really? Damn, I'd go see him and pay the $69.00.

markjsmith likes this.
  6. Headshok

Headshok Member

Just hard to pay that for a TRIBUTE band. Symphony aside, I saw PFX a couple years ago and they had an inflatable pig fer chrissakes.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  7. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

I am not defending high ticket prices in every instance, but how much does cable cost? How much does it cost to go golfing? How much does it cost to go out to dinner and have a couple drinks?

8. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    I've seen some pretty good tribute bands and don't think I ever had to pay to see any of them. Zoso was one of them but there are a lot playing free concerts in the summer where I'm at.
    $69? No, I'd go buy a couple of Pink Floyd DVDs or something.

9. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

That's ridiculously high a price for a tribute band in my opinion. Then again I have zero desire to see a tribute band, so I'm probably not the target demographic anyway...

marvin cobain likes this.
  10. kidmo

kidmo Member

don't think of them as a tribute band, think of them as talented people that play the music you love with quality ambience.

Digits_Only and Tone_Terrific like this.
  11. mikebat

mikebat Member

The Australian Pink Floyd and some Zeppelin cover band play the 18,000 seater around here fairly regularly.

I get that people can no longer see the original band and would like to see a recreation but.... paying full pop and sitting in a full size arena, 1000 feet from the stage...now that is dedication.

12. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

I paid $44 a ticket to see the Black Crowes on their final tour. I'm NEVER paying over $20 to see a tribute band, not even one that is lauded and praised for their show. YMMV

jiml and ianrodia like this.
  13. ant_riv

ant_riv Supporting Member

There was a Heart tribute band playing at a local theater a month ago.

The cheap seats were $143 apiece. I saw Heart many times back when the original band was together.

Even though this tribute band featured Ann and Nancy Wilson, I couldn't bring myself to spend $300.

I've heard there are lots of tribute bands getting paid well. Foreigner is one of them, from what I understand. Same theater, their cheap seats were $94 apiece. Since I had also seen the original band several times, I passed on them also.

Unfortunately for my taste, tribute bands are the norm.

Marc Roy and FenderBigot like this.
  14. Funkhauser

Funkhauser Member

i guess the demand is there if they can afford to charge it. But yeah it's a lot.

In my mind tribute bands belong in pubs where you can watch em for free. I don't think I would ever fork out cash to see one. It's a sad state of affairs that's it's got to the point where they can play arenas and charge arena prices. But that's the world we live in. For whatever reason there are vast amounts of people whose musical tastes haven't moved on from what they liked 40 years ago and are happy to pay to go see some imposters recreate it.

Semitone and FenderBigot like this.
  15. Semitone

Semitone Member

Oh, come on...tell the truth. Tickets were only $40, the other $29 was just a ticket fee. o_O

16. taez555

taez555 Member

When you get to the size of the ensemble that they could be considered an orchestra, the term "tribute band" seems almost inappropriate. In the same way you wouldn't consider going to the Symphony to hear a performance of Mozart's works, a Mozart tribute band.

17. Stev0Griffin

Stev0Griffin Trendsetter

Something I take into consideration, especially with Floyd tribute bands, is the cost of everything that goes into the show.

The bigger acts (Brit Floyd, Aussie Floyd, and even Bricks in the Wall) tend to have fantastic light shows, the giant screen with the animations on it, ontop of the inflatable pigs. Add to that the cost of travel for the band, roadies (I doubt the band themselves would set up those lighting rigs and screens) etc. it all adds up crazy fast.

If a PF tribute band with an orchestra came to town, I'd gladly pay $70 a pop to see them. But I'm a Floyd whore, so...

Tone_Terrific and chrisjw5 like this.
  18. gtrdave

gtrdave Member

^^Truth.

The Floyd tribute band that my wife is in (https://www.facebook.com/echoesrocks/) has a dedicated lighting guy and a media/video guy and they both go with the band to every show to make sure that the entire experience is top-notch.
    Granted, they've never charged over $25 for a ticket...and usually the price is dictated more by the venue than it is by the band...but people are getting a quality show in every aspect for their money.
    The last show they did was at the Golden Nugget in Atlantic City and the admission was free...such a deal...but the band got paid by the venue.

Stev0Griffin and DV52 like this.
  19. GuitarKidd

GuitarKidd Member

I would never pay that much. In fact, here in good ole downtown Akron, during the summer, they put on free concerts on Friday nights. I saw The Machine about 5 years ago for free in downtown Akron. They put on a great show for sure, but wouldn't pay $69.00 to see them.

20. GuitarKidd

GuitarKidd Member

That's right, you and I are practically neighbors.