69 Deluxe Reverb question

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by GeorgeBlekas, Jul 5, 2004.

1. GeorgeBlekas

GeorgeBlekas Senior Member

OK I scored a nearly perfect 69" DR off Ebay and although it looks great it sounded awful. OK so I recaped and replaced a few parts as well as the tubes. I decided I did not like the sound of the speaker so I went to put a Celestrion Green Back in the amp I hit a snag. The Celestrion has 4 holes and the amp has 8 screw posts. Would you dremel off the the 4 screws or get a speaker with 8 mounting holes?

I really didn't think it to be a good idea to hack the amp up being it is in such nice condition and just wondered what you guys would do here?

Also, what speaker should I put in there if the dremel tool idea is a really bad idea.

Thanks alot

George

2. japhy

japhy Member

I've got a 72 deluxe and had the same problem. Dont cut off the screws.
    Take the grill cloth off , it should be held on by velcro , and it will be easier to remove if you take the amp chassis out first .
    You can now simply remove 4 of the screws from the baffle board.

I put in an Altec 417 , that was reconed by Weber to Michigan specs. Made a huge difference. I also installed the new JJ 6v6s and they are great in that amp.

3. Swarty

Swarty Member

A '69 would most likely not have the velcro'd grill. Why not just drill the speaker frame?

4. GeorgeBlekas

GeorgeBlekas Senior Member

The 69' has an aluminum frame that holds the grill cloth on so taking the screws out that way doesn't look promising.

hmm , How about a Jensen speaker? With all the choices out there it's rough to be hip to which might be the best choice but I was told the P12Q was similar to the original. Any thoughts there?

Thanks alot for the input!

George

5. Sonar

Sonar Member

I have two Deluxe Reverbs (1964 & 1968). I chose to get second baffleboards made so I could remove and store the original speakers WITH original baffle boards out of harms way.

My thinking was as follows:

1: I wanted to install a JBL or an Electro-Voice SRO. Both of these speakers have SERIOUS WEIGHT. Either could easily break the original pressed baffleboard. I wanted a multi-ply board for strength.

2: Why take a chance damaging 1964 grill cloth or the cool 1968 drip edge aluminum? I just put the entire baffle with speakers in a protective plastic bag and hung them carefully for storage (up and off the floor).

3: If I ever sell either of these amps, who would complain about receiving a vintage amp with an EXTRA baffle board that looks great? Also. I think it speaks LOUDLY to the care the amp has received to any potential buyers in the future.

I ordered a great replacement baffle board with aged grill cloth from Crusty Cabs (SWatson@loyola.edu). You can reach Crusty on the "Enclosures" Board over at Weber VST also.

Between this cool baffle and a padded Tuki cover, I just need an armed guard to watch my amp during set breaks...... :D

I should add that Crusty's replacement baffles DO have the original style raised "framework" around the outer edge of the baffle (behind the grill cloth) that many replacements do not (ie: Mojotone, etc.). Very cool & very correct!

What ever you decide, DO NOT cut off the original mounting screws........ :eek: