'69 Marshall Plexi 50W: marshall experts needed!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by haslar, Dec 6, 2005.

1. haslar

haslar Member

I've got an opportunity to buy a '69 plexi for $1400.

The inside sticker reads March '69.

All I've got is those crappy pictures.

So: worth it or not?

:D

Pix:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Rob Livesey

Rob Livesey Member

Hi,

Based on what you can actually see in those pics...then......

Those two wooden blocks inside the cab are not original, must be to strengthen the cab or something, I'd check that the cab integrity is still there.

The mains and impedance selectors are missing, which means it's either hardwired at the back of the sockets, or it doesn't work.

There may be a changed switch on the front although I have seen them stock with one of each like this.

The mains input side is DANGEROUS. the socket is non-original obviously and the mains lead itself will be LIVE at the end of those prongs !!!!!!

The filter cap are changed, but that's not a bad thing.

The trannies look ok from what you can see but we can't see the numbers on top.

You need a pic of the top to see the trannies clearer and a shot of the underside of the chassis to see how original all the board is.

If you're going to buy this amp based on just pictures then I think you need to see better pictures overall. I would always like to see great pictures or the amp in person, bad pictures just don't do it for me, there's too much uncertainty

If it's straight after all investigation (other than the obvious things above) then I think it's good value.

Rob.

3. haslar

haslar Member

Rob,

your help is invaluable.
    :)

The seller told me the head once fell on the floor, and the cab is half-broken. It has been repaired with those blocks.

I asked the seller to send me some more pictures.

Apart from that I also have the opportunity to buy an exc cond, all-original '71 jmp 50 w/ tremolo.
    This one is also $1400.

which would be the best choice?

4. sws1

sws1 Member

Ask for picture of circuit. If you don't get it, keep walking.

5. 908SSP

908SSP Member

A 69 with Plexi panels is easily worth double a 71 metal panel all else being equal. Now things appear not to be equal so what are those worth. I agree on the 69 you need better pictures. I would concentrate on the 69 for now 70/73s are regularly selling in the $1500 range so that isn't a particularly good deal in any case.

6. sws1

sws1 Member

Quite honestly, given the history of people hacking up and selling Marshalls, crappy quality pics like those above are a major warning sign to me. How hard is it to take a clear picture, anyway? not very

7. fifty9 335

fifty9 335 Member

Buy em both. you dont have much to loose at those prices...bring em back to stock....if the trannies are changed just live with it...prices are right..

8. steve10358

steve10358 Supporting Member

I'm sorry, but why is everyone trying to stall this poor guy? This amp is easily repairable if something has been tweaked and there are plenty of qualified people that can restore the cab.

I say BUY IT. It's worth at least a thousand more than that. Why stall?

GET THE 69. GET IT.

S.

9. Colt

Colt Member

If you don't want it, give me the guy's number. The 69 that is.
    Seriously.

10. Improviser

Improviser Supporting Member

+1

They all sound a bit different anyway - keep the one which sounds the best!

The '69 looks to be an original based on the poor pics, however get quality pics of the complete circuit board and transformers and get them appraised.

Geoff

11. Colt

Colt Member

haha...and seriously...if you don't want the 69, give me his number....I'm 20 and have a quest for tone that could be over with NOW.......:dude

12. haslar

haslar Member

I've received new pictures of the amp:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

That amp is very heavily moddified. Most resistors have been replaced with carbon comps, and what's that resistor bush growing around V2?

14. doctord02

doctord02 Member

It also appears to have had the power transformer replaced; it has the cutout for a thru the chassis PT, but has a standup X mount transformer installed. I also agree with Kelly, lots of mods...

15. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Land of Enchantment/Entrapment. Depending on view
    Stay away from these amps..Just because it was made in 69 doesn't mean it's any good..Marshall made a lot of ****** sounding amps then, and some great ones..That ones been modded to death...By a Flexi 50, or a Germino..you will then be assured great tone:JAM :Spank

16. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

I may have another view....

The amp is certainly hacked but......If the OPT is original it's probably not a bad deal. You will have to spend some money to get a tech to clean it up.

Can you hear the amp before buying it, or is this sight unseen?

A clean '69 plexi would be 2X+ what this person is asking. If it sounds good and the iron is good (especially the opt) you may have something but this isn't the deal of a lifetime.

If non of the experts can confirm that the OPT is original, I'd pass or get them to knock of a couple of bucks....

17. sws1

sws1 Member

This is exactly when I was warning you about when I suggested you get the circuit pics. It's been hacked all up.

You can put it back to stock circuit, at which point you'll have a genuine marshall OPT and a marshall logo on the box. To me that's not a vintage marshall worth paying money for.

18. voodoogreg

voodoogreg Member

WORD. VDG

19. sws1

sws1 Member

Oh - I forgot. You can also put it back to stock form, and screw the next person by pretending it's original. That seems to be the "in" thing to do (unfortunately)

20. haslar

haslar Member

I'm definitely not into that kind of game.
    I hate being screwed, so I don't screw people.

Anyway:
    - the amp has just been sold "to a professional musician"
    - the seller just wrote me "if you want original, buy a reissue lol" (downright stupid, and despite the fact his ad mentioned that his amp was "100% all original")
    - I've had it; I'm ordering a Germino Club40 @ FatSounds.
    There you go.
    :D