69' small box 50watt marshall and which overdrive?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by danjcarroll, Feb 24, 2009.

1. danjcarroll

danjcarroll Member

Hi overdrive experts

Need some recommendations from those in the know for an overdrive!

My current rig is a 69' 50watt marshall head through a 2x10 with the newish reissue greenbacks. Playing a strat with frallin vintage hots, nothing in line except for a tuner, rmc wah and diamond memory lane delay.

I have the channels bridged with volume one on about 6 and volume two on about 4. This gives me a nice amount of natural amp overdrive without being saturated. I use this sound most of the time.

What I'm after is a really top notch pedal to push the amp a little further for solos etc, when I'm not riding the volume on the guitar.

• It needs to retain the actual tone of the amp and guitar (so id prefer if its not overly colored, compressed, bright etc)
    • I dont want it to push the amp into a fuzzy teritory, so it would be ideal if it doesnt have too much gain
    • It is also really important that it retains the amp and guitars touch sensitivity and natural dynamics.

I basically want it to add a little gain to the current sound of the amp, a little level, all the while not changing the basic tone or messing with the dynamics of my current set up. I dont mind if the mids are pumped up a bit, as that will add to solo cut (as long as none of the other frequencies are attenuated or cut)

Everyones thoughts and opinions greatly valued.
    Cheers

2. danjcarroll

danjcarroll Member

Do I want a treble booster?? I have a mate that just suggested it, however have no experience with one.

thanks

3. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

A treble booster is more of a booster and they do for sure change your tone, I love them but they are not for everybody and to get any real grind from a 50 watter using a treble booster you'll still have to be pretty loud. Im gonna say that you should for sure try out a Box of Rock or if you can get one a King of Tone...those are 2 very different pedals to my ears but I think you could be happy with either.

4. superswede

superswede Member

I think that you need some kind of clean boost. A od will push your amp into more distortion. With that said I think a MP LGW will fit the bill if you want an OD. Or an BJF Dyna red used as boost only. Very nice into a Marshall.

There are many boosts that will fit the bill
    Z.Vex super hard on
    BJF Baby pink
    Keeley Katana
    etc

Boosting a Marshall that is on the edge of breakup gives enough distortion, that is the reason that you do not need an od. Clean boost does the trick for you I think. A treble boost is a different animal.

And then there is the almighty Centaur...

5. danjcarroll

danjcarroll Member

Thanks guys.

A friend of mine has an older KOT, so i might see if I can pick that up for a go.Thanks for the heads up on the treble booster as well.

From what I have read, the Klon seems VERY tempting also, although I dont know anyone who has one of those I could try. I like the idea of something that has just a hair of gain and some tone shaping ability which works in the Klons favor, however Im definately not going to write off a booster, as the Marshall is up loud enough for one of those to do the job as well.

Any other suggestions very welcome. Thanks everyone

6. danjcarroll

danjcarroll Member

Superswede whats the MP LGW like? I checked it out on the mad ape web page and it looks promising. Do you have some experience with it personally? If so how would you describe it?
    cheers

7. danjcarroll

danjcarroll Member

Thanks guys.

A friend of mine has an older KOT, so i might see if I can pick that up for a go.Thanks for the heads up on the treble booster as well.

From what I have read, the Klon seems VERY tempting also, although I dont know anyone who has one of those I could try. I like the idea of something that has just a hair of gain and some tone shaping ability which works in the Klons favor, however Im definately not going to write off a booster, as the Marshall is up loud enough for one of those to do the job as well.

Any other suggestions very welcome. Thanks everyone

8. michael dukes

michael dukes Member

When I first saw the subject header of your post, I immediately thought "treble booster." Then I read your full post. They definitely color your tone, but it's such a familiar and cool color. I'd recommend snagging a used one, you can probably do this for $140 or so, and if you don't love it to death flip on and get your money back out. Some (Divided By 13, AnalogMan) have switchable tone cap settings that really add useful flexibility. Your gear listed makes you sound like something of a purist, but even considering this I'd say you owe it to yourself to at least check out one of the nicer treble booster clones.

9. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

You just described a Boss or Dod EQ pedal.

10. zaraflux

zaraflux Member

The new empress para eq might work well has @30db boost from what I remember reading and can be shaped many different ways

11. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

I play my '68 clone just like you, volumes on 6 and 4. I use a regular old, plain jane TS-9 to boost the amp for solos. Modest on the gain, level all the way up, and the amp sings.

12. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

13. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Treble Booster
    Colorsound Power Booster or Overdriver
    Klon
    MXR Micro Amp
    TC Booster (the original one)

14. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Even if you can buy the KoT from him at least try it! Those are just such great pedals...the DISTORTION setting might be a little much for you but the OD side is really great and if you want even less actual crunch added and just want a good gritty boost the CLEAN side of the KoT stomps a Klon in the dirt IMHO.

15. Darkburst

Darkburst Member

I'm still digging my Fulltone OCD v4 on LP mode with my 45/50 Clone.

16. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

I think if you want something very clean boost like I would recommend
    SPF Egobooster
    If you want something that colors it more 'Marshall' Box of Rocks would be my pick.

If you just want something that can boost or drive or over drive, one of my favorites is the CMATMODS Signa Drive.

17. danjcarroll

danjcarroll Member

Wow thanks guys!

Seems I have a lot of options.
    The treble booster is back on the map, if not just for interests sake.
    Also love the idea of just trying out a boss eq.
    I'll give the TS9 thing a go as they seem to be pretty versatile little buggers.
    Can anyone coment upon the similarities between the Klon and the KOT, as I will be picking up the KOT for a go today, and was hoping I could gauge what the Klon would be like based on peoples comparisons to the KOT.

Cheers everyone, all recommendations taken on board

18. cg

cg Member

How about a Fulltone FatBoost 1 or 2? I use one with my Germino Club 40 and I think it does a really nice job of taking a great amp and pushing it a bit.

19. justonwo

justonwo Supporting Member

The Menatone King of the Britains was meant for your amp. I drive my Super Lead with it and it does a fantastic job of maintaining the amp's dynamics. You won't find any insane compression or loss of touch sensitivity here. I've said it many times, but the sound of this pedal into my Super Lead set at 2.5-3 on the volume is practically indistinguishable from the amp dimed with no pedal.

Heck, I can get a pretty convincing Plexi tone out of my Champ at home with the KOTB. I've spent many nights with this setup jamming along to early AC/DC tunes.

By the by, in case you don't already know about this pedal, it's quite versatile. It has a full tone stack, a presence adjustment, gain capable of JCM800 levels, a boost knob and separate boost footswitch, and lastly a three position toggle to fine tune the voicing.

SUCH a great pedal.

[​IMG]

I've also had tons of fun pushing my Super Lead with a BJFE Honey Bee. That is one of the best low gain overdrives I've EVER played. The touch sensitivity and dynamics are very amp-like. SO sweet.

[​IMG]

20. pappafox

pappafox Member

"really top notch pedal to push the amp a little further for solos, etc."= Red Snapper!