1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

69 Super Bass - What cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by wesv, Feb 28, 2012.

1. wesv

wesv Member

Ok, so I recently purchased a nice 69 100 watt super bass but dont have a cabinet of my own at the moment.

Preferably, I'd like a nice sized 2x12 with some celestion type speakers but not 100% sure which ones yet.

Will greenbacks be ok with a 100 watter and 2x12 configuration?

Any suggestions which path i go down? I could be convinced to get a 4x12 as I also have a 65 RI super reverb I used for smaller gigs and practice etc...

Thoughts & suggestions welcome!

2. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

• Find a pre-'74 4x12 "B" Cab

• Find an attenuator set to -6db

Enjoy...

3. wesv

wesv Member

Unfortunately I'm in Australia so late 60's or 70s cabinets are hard to find...

Would love a straight front cabinet though. There is a dude selling a AVATAR unloaded 4x12 for a decent price which I could have fun with...

4. Lespaulsignature 74

Lespaulsignature 74 Silver Supporting Member

If you want an oversized 2x12 Marshall style cabinet then you want a Stone Age 2x12 "C" cab. Built like a tank and great customer service from John! Celestion Greenbacks in a 2x12 cab = 40 or 50 watts handeling power, your SB would blow them up! Get a pair of Scumback M75 XHP (100watt each) and you'll be set!

5. wesv

wesv Member

Checked the stone age site, yeh they look nice but once again, Im in Australia so not sure about cost to import a cab.

thanks for the heads up on greenbacks...

6. Roe

Roe Member

greenbacks will blow. try 100w scumbacks - m75 and h75

7. wesv

wesv Member

Thanks Roe.

Must look into Scumbacks and see if there's an Australian distributer.

8. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

There isn't an Aussie distributor. A 4x12 will cost about $560 to ship to Australia plus the cab/speakers/packing cost.

I know that because I've just had to confirm two quotes I got six weeks ago yesterday.

A 2x12 won't cost much less to ship to OZ than a 4x12, by the way. Once it's gone past a certain size, the weight isn't as big a factor.

Good luck with whatever you decide to go with.

9. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

...well, you DID find a '69 Superbass...

Just saying, I'd treat such a epic amp with equally epic speakers. Maybe go for scumbacks in a 2x12 but keep your eye's peeled.

10. Rockyrollercat

Rockyrollercat Member

11. wesv

wesv Member

True, however in my experience heads have been more readily available than cabinets.

Thanks for all the comments guys, I'll make a decision soon as I wanna get this thing cranking!

12. big mike

big mike Consigliere Staff Member

2x12 with a couple 65 watt scummies.
    Closed back, M's. Open back, M/H pair.

13. winkofaneye

winkofaneye Member

I have a 69 Super Bass Plexi 100 watt.DONT USE 65 WATTERS(Sorry Big Mike) YOU WILL BLOW THEM.Take this from someone who has recently blown 2 G12-65's.You need AT LEAST double the amp wattage.I have so far blown the 2 G12-65's and 1 Scumback H75 100 watt(when paired 2x12 with a V30).I now use 2 x EV12L 200 Watts each TO BE SAFE.I am thinking about trying 2 100 Watt Scumbacks,but slightly afraid to do so.I use alot of fuzz and OD,and the square waves DESTROY speakers! Ask Philip Sayce,Joe B etc.Thats why they use the EV's.

100 Watt Amp= 200 Watt total load speakers AT LEAST

Thats why the Marshall cabs of old said '100' on them-you needed 2 to be safe.

Thanks,SORRY FOR THE CAPITALS!!

14. AndreasG

AndreasG Member

Find a 2x12 jcm 800 cab, put in 2 of the new celestion creambacks with 65 watts each or classic leads or a mix of the two, pull two tubes in the amp and you sshould be fine and very happy without spending a fortune...

15. big mike

big mike Consigliere Staff Member

Or get an avatar with 2x100 watt scumbacks.

I don't use much fuzz or octave so I didn't think of that.

Celestion creamback's going to be around the same as scummies if not more IMO.

16. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Keep it British sounding: get a 2x12 and load it with Fane Medusa 150s (Cs or Ss or a combo of both, to taste). These love the abuse.