1. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

I have recently purchased my first amp that requires these so I have little to no knowledge of them. It says 6ca7s are needed, but from what I understand el34s can be used. If I want to use only el34s are there any mods that I would need to do to the amp to optimize them? Also, are there any general inherent differences in sound chatacteristics between these two tube types?

2. 52ftbuddha

52ftbuddha Member

American and European part numbers. Similar specs but different makers. Different makers and construction types will sound quite different. Big can many worms.
    Rob

3. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

Thanks Rob. I read recently though that there is a slight difference in the wiring of amps that contain the two different tubes. The new EH 6ca7s get excellent reviews, but so do the Winged C el34s. Trying to decide really between these two.

4. UfoPilot

UfoPilot Member

I put the EH6ca7's in my plexi. I liked the openness of the sound better than the =C='s The =C='s were the best sounding of all the EL34's I tried but I just liked the EH6ca7's better. If you want a more compressed sound go with the =C='s for a more 3d sound with more bass go with the EH's :AOK

5. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

Nice! I think I'll probably get both starting with the Winged Cs. Thing is- my amp puts out plenty of bass as it is. Also I think I'm looking for a more genuine el34 sound. Sovtek deserves kudos though for producing a great 6ca7 and I'll show my appreciation by buying some.

6. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

IMO, you can't say that one type of tube sounds this way or that. Its largely dependent on the design of the amplifier - and of course the musician's tastes. This isn't an invitation to start a discussion on this. I wish these types of subjective dialogues would be confined to another less technical group.

7. Trout

Trout Member

Though not especially popular for various reasons, I find JJ KT77's to be a great alternative to EL34/6CA7's.

I have been running them for months in several amps and they just seem so much smoother than most EL34's. Not as much midrange bark/grind and a bit more creamy highs. The bass tends to be a bit tighter but hardly enough to notice at lower volumes.

I have used EH, and the JJ EL34L's and several old sets of Genelex KT77's and its really a close race.
    Trout

8. Swarty

Swarty Member

just the facts, mam... nothing but the facts... Yeah, yeah... like Zappa said, "Talking about music is like dancing about archetecture".

Within the confines of one amplifier 2 different tube types are going to display different sonic characteristics, especially when the amp is pushed into and with regards to the onset of clipping. I replaced the Mullard EL34s in my '71 1987 w/ Sylvainia 6CA7s and really liked the change. The onset of clipping came a bit later and the lowend was much stronger. The top was glassy whereas with EL34s the top was a bit ragged. The character of the amp changed from a screaming banshee to an aggressive junkyard dog.

9. Trout

Trout Member

Very Well said.

I think that it is also exaggerated by component tolerances. Guessing 95% of the amps out there use component values +/- 10% also causes a huge difference from amp to amp. What's good in 1 18W NoName might not sound perfect in a matching 18W NoName.
    I figure If I can hear the difference in a blind taste test, And still pick the same tube, I hit gold.

I can hear a difference in my amps sound after a sneeze! lol Honest, I think its an inner ear preasure related thing.
    Trout

10. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

Sheesh, relax. What was there- one sentence on that subject, not including yours? BTW, I disagree with your first sentence.

11. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

Sweet. So you made no changes with the wiring, just a straight swap? (Sorry, still haven't gotten that question answered to my satisfaction.) That's two of you now tho- I'm gonna have to give those 6ca7s a go.

12. go7

go7 Member

Try a set of nos Tesla`s [not JJ] el34`s.

13. Fretts

Fretts Member

FWIW, the classic 6CA7 is a hard-vacuum tube, supposed to be America's answer to the EL34, bigger, badder, louder, "harder". I never liked them, they seem to be halfway to a 6550, hard as nails. The classic EL34's were made with a softer vacuum than the American one. Nowadays, it's all so mixed up, who knows?

14. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

I just put JJ KT77's in my amp and my experience is about the same. The top end is much nicer.

Of course I changed all the preamp tubes for the first time in a while, using a matched triode tube in the p.i. position, so it is hard to say exactly what is responsible for the tone.

15. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

That's my dream tube but a little too much for my pocketbook. :(

16. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

Plus 6CA7s are beam tetrodes to el34s pentode making them act more like a 6L6.