6CG7 tube question

mad dog

Silver Supporting Member
Hey all: The 6CG7 reverb driver tube in my Ampeg Gem II is microphonic, so I'm looking for replacements. There are some new ones, I think EH makes this tube, maybe others. Also much more expensive old stock such as RCA. Question is, how much would the quality difference matter in the reverb driver slot? I'm not adverse to spending money on tubes, but don't want to waste money either. thanks.

MD

TopBooster

You might as well go with a NOS RCA, since they're only about $10-$15 more than the EH...(That's what I did for my Gemini II.)

donnyjaguar

The 6CG7 and 6FQ7 were very common tubes in television sets of yesteryear. I wouldn't pay a premium for one myself.

bunuel

I've got a coupla vintage Ampeg Geminis & as well as a coupla vintage Danos where the 6cg7 is critical for the 'verb. Good quality makes a VERY BIG difference & in my experience NOS is the only way to go. In all of my amps, I've found that (for some reason) the 6cg7/6fq7 tubes sound better than the spendier 6cg7 with heat shields separating the plates. Good news, because the 6cg7/6fq7 are much cheaper. Altho cork sniffers eschew it, I've had very good luck picking up great NOS 6cg7/6FQ7 tubes on ebay. From trusted sellers, you should be able to pick one up for about the same or less than what a new production tube costs. Also in my experience, the NOS last a bunch longer. Regardless, the ol' Gemini's have an incomparable reverb circuit that needs a good tube to bring out the max in it. Get NOS!

TheAmpNerd

Altho cork sniffers eschew it, I've had very good luck picking up great NOS 6cg7/6FQ7 tubes on ebay. From trusted sellers, you should be able to pick one up for about the same or less than what a new production tube costs. Also in my experience, the NOS last a bunch longer. Regardless, the ol' Gemini's have an incomparable reverb circuit that needs a good tube to bring out the max in it. Get NOS!

Eschew indeed.

Find a good clear top RCA...

...Don't worry, Be happy!

eldungo

I have a few of these. They are old. Don't know if they are in fact NOS. I will have access to a tube tester soon, so I don't know their specifics yet. PM me if you are interested. I'm hoping to have them documented within a couple weeks. In fact as I peruse my notes i see them marked as for the 65 Ampeg Gemini. They are; 1 RCA, 2 Admiral, and 1 GE. Also a couple of 6fq7.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom