6G3 speaker suggestions

DEMENTED

Silver Supporting Member
I have recently acquired a Marsh 6G3 replica that was delivered with an Eminence Swamp Thang that has something odd I don't like about it. Looking for suggestions on a replacement 12" speaker. Not too worried about clean headroom and want to emphasize the snarl this little beast has.

Steppin' Wolfe

Silver Supporting Member
vintage Jensen C12R or C12Q...or something like those. OR....if you want to hear what the amp does ...an EVL.

bgio

Silver Supporting Member
I have only played a 6G3 a few times and haven't been able to mess with speakers. But I would take a look at a Celestion Gold or a Mojotone BV30V.

sliberty

I have a 6g2 clone (setup for a 12" speaker), and loaded it with a JBL K-120. This speaker is a killer match for these amps, and would probably sound great in the 6g3 as well.

Laurence

Gold Supporting Member
Interested in the subject, but don't have a 6G3 (would love to). I do have a 6G2, TV D, SFDR, SFPR, GA20, among others (Hey, Swiv, still loving that 5F10 clone). It would seem a British style speaker, or a Jensen style 'N' speaker, would be suitable for this amp (referencing Cat Scratch Fever as a signature tone for a 6G3, although they play clean as well.).

Telebluze

Platinum Supporting Member
I've tried almost every speaker imaginable that could possibly be a good match for that amp......and for me, the winner was a Cele Gold

sikoniko

How does the alnico cream sound compared to other speakers you've tried?
when i got the amp, it had the original jensen, which had been re-coned. the cream is the only other speaker i have had in it. for me it retained the honky characteristic but sounded fuller, if that makes sense.

Benny

Platinum Supporting Member
I had a Quinn Brown Derby for a while (not sure if it was 100% 6g3). With humbuckers and a variety of lap steels, I preferred the red Tone Tubby speaker that came with that amp over a old JBL, a Greenback, a G12H30 Anniversary, and a couple of different Jensens - it put the amp in the Goldilocks zone (not to loud, not too soft, clear but not too bright, not too smooth, not fizzy either, etc.)

But if you were aiming to emphasize the more aggressive side of the amp, I'd lean towards the G12H30 (and now that they're available, consider whether one of the celestion heritage, creamback or other recent offerings were more in line with my own concept of an ideal Celestion).

slider313

Gold Supporting Member
I believe the most common speaker was an Oxford 12K5-3 with brown cap. I have a reissue Jensen C12Q in mine that sounds great. Going to try a Celestion G12M 25W this week.
Yes, the Oxford 12K5 was the most common. Early versions of the amp, from 1961, actually came with either a Jensen P12R or P12Q.

I can see the Jensen C12Q sounding great, and the G12M should also.

Pedro58

Silver Supporting Member
I had an original for years and wore out the Oxford 12K5. I had it reconed and it never sounded the same. I was never able to find a match. That was many years ago and I remember trying a number of Mojotone speakers and a Celestion Blue and Greenback. If memory serves, I did end up with a Weber in it before I sold it. It was an Alnico, that's all I remember, and Ted recommended it. Anyway, I would get whatever is closest to the 12K5, as the ceramic options did not sound "right" to me and the British Alnico sound didn't either.

Trending Topics