6G6-B Bassman Preamp Tube Functions

kldonegan

Hello all -

I've got a lovely Bassman and I want to put a few Tung Sol 12ax7s in it. I do not know which preamp tubes affect the Normal channel; it is the only channel I use. I'd like to utilize these tubes most effectively and put them where the Normal channel needs 'em. Anybody know?

Thanks!

kldonegan

I guess what I mean to say is... which preamp tube does what? Where's the primary tone tube for the Normal channel? The phase inverter? You know... Elementary stuff :)

WaltC

Looking at the back of the amp:

- v1 and v2 are the first two tubes on the right and are used for the Bass channel
- V3 is the pre-amp tube for the normal channel
- v4 is the phase inverter and, unlike the BF Bassman, is a 12AX7/7025 also

kldonegan

That's farthest from the power tubes to closest (phase inverter being closest), correct?

So it seems like v3&v4 are my best change. Will v1&v2 matter at all since the Bass channel is turned all the way down?

The tech put Sovetek 12ax7wa tubes in it, and I don't particularly like them... looking to make it sound right.

WaltC

Yes

Yes, No

Good luck, there's lots to choose from these days. Remember that different brand names don't necessarily mean different tube types. Many "Brands" use the same basic tube (chinese, russian, etc.).

Top Bottom