6L6 Power Tube Opinions

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Eagle, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Eagle

Eagle Member

Hey Guys ... Calling on all those with any expierence with 6L6 type power tubes. I'm looking for replacement tubes for my Blues Deville and was wondering if any of you have any opinions/recomendations on which way to go. I'm looking for a more rounded warm blues tone then the stock GT's and am relatively new to tube amps so any help is appreciated.
    Thanks in advance for any replies.

Eagle Out.

2. nosajwp

nosajwp Member

You'll be hard pressed to do better than SED's!!!

3. fiddler59

fiddler59 Member

TAD Audio rca black plate clones...........hands down the best and I have used them all. MOJO musical supply carries them.....killer !!
    David B.

4. empty71

empty71 Member

5. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    What's a "blues tone"? BB King plays blues and so did Duane Allman. Those 2 tones are about as far apart as possible...one crystal clean, the other VERY dirty.

If you're looking for lower headroom and earlier breakup, the JAN Philips 6L6WGBs are excellent and MUCH more cost effective than any of the new production tubes because they last 5 times longer.

6. mt10

mt10 Member

I have tried old Sylvanias and RCA Blackplates in my Bassmans. The Sylvanias sounded kinda sterile. Once I put the RCA Blackplates in, the amp turned into magic. The tone seemed to get much more dimensional. After that, I bought Blackplates for all my Bassmans and Bandmasters.

7. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Try the new Tung Sol 5881. Great for blues. They have a very warm rounded tone with a midrange bloom and nice compression. A plus if you play a strat.

8. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Why, when you can get the NOS equivalent (JAN Philips 6L6WGBS) for less money?

9. Swarty

Swarty Member

:AOK

10. Johnny Z

Johnny Z Member

I put a set of Ruby's in my Hellhound and they seem very good, and I was skeptical at first because I've always been a RCA fan, but their gettin' harder to find.

11. trdlasvegas

trdlasvegas Member

12. Tuberattler

Tuberattler Member

I put JJ's in my Blues DeVille and like 'em a LOT better than the stock tubes.. also raised the bias and now it sounds a bit bigger and a lot fatter.

13. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

14. gldtp99

gldtp99 Member

just my opinion but these newer Fender amps don't sound that much different with premium hi $$$ tubes vs New Prod "whatever" tubes---- on the other hand, the '62 and '63 Brownface and '64 Blackface Bandmasters i just serviced up had a clearly positive response to the Sylvania, GE, and RCA Blackplate (respectively) 6L6GC's i installed in them, replacing New Prod 6L6's---- i say save some $$$ and run Sovteks in the Deville........gldtp99

15. trdlasvegas

trdlasvegas Member

Oh come Mike, let's not go through that tedious excersize of NOS vs New Production usage again. :horse

I was just correcting your statment about pricing.

-Tony

16. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Im thinking of a set of the JJ 6L6GC for my JSX. Ive heard they are smoother on the top end then other new stuff.

17. Eagle

Eagle Member

I like the idea of the lower clean headroom that those JAN Phillips 6L6WGB's are supposed to offer, earlier breakup at not so intense volumes would be awesome. I Think I'll check those out .... Thanks Guys!

18. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

My comment was targeted more to the original poster. And I stand by the statement.:p

19. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Because they sound completly different than the Phillips 6L6WGB. I find the new 5881 sounds more like the original Tung Sol, and the Phillips isn't as warm or compressed when pushed.

20. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Yes, but since there is abso-f'ing-lutely no concensus on tone.... ;)