6L6-Powered 1x12 Amps w/Master Volume & Reverb under $500?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by FenderGuy53, Feb 2, 2008.

1. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Member

What are some nice 1x12 tonemakers, new or used, running 6L6s, with master volume and reverb, that can be had for $500 or less?

Thanks

2. FFTT

FFTT Member

You should be able to find a used Blues Deluxe in that price range.

3. EdMan57

EdMan57 Member

4. es137p

es137p Supporting Member

how bout the reverend hellhound, no longer made, but can be had on e bay, very nice amps for that price range

5. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

Try the Peavey Ultra stuff. Very underrated and killer sounding.

6. mesanatic

mesanatic Member

I agree, those are great amps. I much prefer those to my old Peavey Classic 50.
    $ wise you can't go wrong.

7. edward

edward Supporting Member

Easy: Mesa DC5. Ya, lots of "no, not a Boogie" sentiment on this board, but I gotta tell you that this is one easy Mesa to love. It is enormously versatile, can cover vast expanses of tonal ground in a pinch, is muuuch easier to dial in than your typical Mesa, and has served me well for almost a decade now. The plus for buyers is that it is overshadowed by the all the Marks, Rectos, and L-Stars (and now Expresses) out there, and so get little love ...ahhh, a killer sleeper!!!

Edward

8. fridgit

fridgit Member

Peavey Valveking 112. Actually not bad for a 6L6 Peavey amp. Clean channel is nice and tubey warm. The gain channel is okay, kinda Marshall-ish, but can get a little muddy. Reverb is decent enough. I think they sell for $399-430 new at GC.

Also, the Pignose G-40V. No reverb, but check out the link and the video below:

http://www.gearwire.com/pignose-g40v-amplab.html

9. buckd

buckd I like big picks and I can not lie... Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I have to agree with Edward. The DC 5 is a great amp. I'd highly recommend it.

10. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

See if you can find a Traynor YCV40 - I got one for about 400 used, and it really is a killer amp - the overdrive is phenomenal and it comes with a celestion stock. I like it better than my DeVille in a lot of ways.

11. anibas

anibas Member

A Laney LC50 1X12 or a Peavey Triumph 60 could both be had for under $500,and both would work for what you're looking for,IMO.

12. xmentalpilot

xmentalpilot Member

I absolutely love mine... very pedal friendly too!

13. Gtrman100

Gtrman100 Member

I just posted on another thread about the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe I just picked up for $375- used, mint! Retubed it, dropped in a Celestion 70/80 and I really like it. It's saving my back from my 94 lb Mesa Lonestar 2X12.

I put in GT6L6CHD's, and it's got gobs of headroom- it's loud! The Celestion gets rid of the flubby low end, and smooths out the drive channels. I really think these amps are popular for a reason, and get dissed around here. I'm a tone junky having a Matchless, the Lonestar, a '68 DR, and GT Soul-O 45 and Single. I'd definitely have a listen.

14. burner

burner Member

FWIW,I demoed a 2-12 100w Valve King at GC today and I was very impressed with it.
    Not a "Fender" clean...darker, and it had it's own thing going on but I thought it was entirely useable and sounded great.
    Ditto for the OD channel.

I'm sure they don't get much love on here but I think...especially when you consider the price....they are a heck of an amp!