6L6 Recomendations

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by veldt666, May 3, 2004.

1. veldt666

veldt666 Member

I need to order a quantity of replacment & spare 6L6's, & I'm prepared to look at current production types, rather than carry on using NOS types, as I have done for some time.
    I have tried some Sovtek 6L6GB's & EH6L6's, but didn't think they were that great.

Can anyone please advise on the latest current production offerings?

:confused:

2. shane

shane Member

I've had good luck with svetlana 6l6's. I have used them in my super and I thought they sounded just as good as the rca's. I hear good things about the groove tube american 6l6 though I haven't heard them.

3. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

While no 6L6's I've played sound better than RCA blackplates, the Svetlana 6L6's I've tried are a pretty good bang for the buck to my ears. I haven't yet heard the new GT 6L6GE's but most reports are favorable.....they are built using the original GE machines.

4. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Different strokes for different folks. I like the EHs in my Hellhound. I also like the JJs in the Bandmaster Clone. I tried Svets in my Hellhound and also my Blues Deluxe before Pete Cage gutted and rewired it as the Bandmaster clone, didn't like them in either amp.

5. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    I've had great luck with SEDs (the new name for the REAL Svetlana tubes) with hundreds of customers. These sound very close to GE 6L6GCs.

6. Wakarusa

Wakarusa Member

If you're on a budget the Shuguang 6L6GC is tough to beat, though there's some question as to how much abuse they'll take. I've installed quite a few sets in Fenders with overall positive results. They did not survive in a Peavey Vintage II (525V on the plates), but seemed to do fine in a MusicMan RD-50 at a whopping 700V -- but keep in mind that the RD-50 is a grounded grid design operating pretty much class B with idle dissipation around 6 watts.

I'm also quite pleased with the sound of the new Svetlana (S-logo Reflektor production) 6L6 -- running a set in a '67 Bassman at the moment. Much better and different IMHO than the old Svet S-logo tubes that I always found kinda dark and lifeless. No idea about life/durability with this tube tho'

Finally, there's been pretty good buzz about the 6L6 from JJ, but I haven't had a chance to test a set myself. Also haven't had a chance to try the GT 6L6GE, but can say that the generic Chinese 6L6 from GT is to be avoided. I've seen JCM900s eat these like they were candy.

7. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

I prefer the Svetlanas (now SED, all mine are a few yrs. old) and the JJs of current stock.

JC

8. veldt666

veldt666 Member

Great Info guy's, keep it coming.
    Iv'e been recomended some "TAD" 6L6GC tubes from Germany. I have a set on order, I'll post on how they perform soon.

Thanks again.:)