6L6 Tube question

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by MBalmer, Jan 27, 2006.

1. MBalmer

MBalmer Member

I need a new tube for my head and i only need one and the local store only has a groove tube and my other 6L6 is a Electro harmonix will that mess with my sound at all?
    Anyone from Cleveland that has an extra electro 6L6eh then let me know
    Thanks

2. rooster

rooster Member

This is, of course, dependant upon the amp:As a rule, if your amp is a 6L6 push-pull output section, and 1 tube is out, you need to replace both tubes. When you buy them, it's not a bad idea to get a matched pair. It's also a good idea to have a tech re-bias the amp for not only optimum performance out of the amp, but to ensure that the tubes aren't running too hot. You should post what kind of amp you have, as some amps have "non-adjustable" biaising, some have "adustable-fixed" biasing, and some have cathode biasing. Oh, and tubes of the same brand are not necessarily electrically similar.rooster.

3. MBalmer

MBalmer Member

My amp is a Reverend Hellhound 40/60.
    I am gonna call more places tomorrow to see if i can get some better deals sam ash wanted $60 for sovtek tubes cant afford that much right now but if i have to i will pay it.

4. Liquid Quarter

Liquid Quarter Member

Holy sheep-dip Batman!!! :D Forget Sam Ash

Check here: www.kcanostubes.com

or..............

Check here: www.tubestore.com

You can get a matched pair of Sovteks or SED "Wing-C" for under $35.00

LQ

5. MBalmer

MBalmer Member

that was $60 for 4 6L6tubes.
    Yeah tomorrow i will shop around more.

6. rooster

rooster Member

For $60, I think you can get JJ's or Winged C. Maybe a bit more than $60, but no more than $75, I'd imagine.www.tubesandmore.comrooster.

7. rooster

rooster Member

Y'know, this message window is getting more annoying by the day. I'm going to have to figure out how to use it correctly...
    rooster.

8. MBalmer

MBalmer Member

all i need is 1 tube but since i am selling the head i will probably end up buying 2 since the amp only takes 2 6L6 tubes