6L6 tube question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mctallica1, May 5, 2008.

1. mctallica1

mctallica1 Member

Hey guys,

What is the difference between the Svetlana 6L6's and the SED 6L6's?

I use SED 6L6's in a lot of different amps with great success, but noticed the Svetlana's look the same but are quite a bit less expensive.

Anyone have experience with both?

Thanks!
    Tony

2. wyatt

wyatt Member

I don't know if I ever heard the story on how, but New Sensor secured the rights to the name Svetlana for North American use *after* the real Svetlana had already built their reputation. So, current tubes labeled Svetlana are actually made in the Reflector factory (Sovtek/EH, etc.) and the ones made in the Svetlana factory are labeled or sold as SED for the States. The Svetlana-made tubes will always have that winged-C logo, be it for NOS Svetlana tubes or SED.

I have no experience with the Reflector-made Svetlana tubes, but word of mouth has been extremely consistent that they are inferior to the winged C tubes.

3. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

I have extensively A/B'd both models and I agree with wyatt....

The NP Svets are different from the Original Winged~C~SED's.
    I thought there was a very noticeable difference..... IMOHO of course.
    I am sure more members will chime in, but the "Watford Report" pretty much summed it all up. The SED's won out hands down over the NP Svets.
    Hope that helps,:BEER
    Mass

4. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

I have used both and both are good sounding tubes. The SED's are a bit warmer and have thicker mids, to my ear. I guess it all depends on the amp your using them in.

5. mctallica1

mctallica1 Member

Thanks guys...you just settled it for me.

SED's it is:AOK

I just didn't want to pay the extra if it is a name only thing. I love SED's and if I have to pay a bit more to get them, then so be it.