6l6gc vs 6l6gc-str

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by cygnusx1, Mar 7, 2015.

1. cygnusx1

cygnusx1 Member

Ok guys, this is probably a stupid question, but here goes. I have a Clark piedmont that uses 6l6gc tubes. It is a 59 bassman clone. Good sound but as with anything I own, I must experiment. Is there any difference in the tubes I listed? Obviously they are the same style but what is the str designation? Also would the bias need to be different? Thanks.

2. wyatt

wyatt Member

Ultimately, they are just different model names. Bias the same.

In ye olden days, a company make a big tube purchase from RCA, GE, etc., sometimes there would be specific criteria, orher times it was simply a OEM fulfillment. These would be deemed (S)pecial (T)ube (R)equest.

These days modern companies just throw on suffixes like that as 1) marketing and/or 2) to guve a differentiating model name.

3. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    What Wyatt said. Anything with a 6L6 number that's glass (not metal, like some 1940's tubes) will work fine in a '59 Bassman style amp. Rebiasing will be required no matter which one you choose.

The TAD 6L6WGCs are good, economy minded, tubes.

4. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

As pointed out above if your talking modern tubes it really is nothing but labeling.

Now if your talking early Sylvania tubes, there was a difference in tone, at least to me ears of the early short bottle pre-STR 6l6gc tubes.
    All STR ones seem to be after they went to tall bottle design shown on right 2 tubes here.
    [​IMG]

The short bottle on left is what is referred to as a pre-STR Sylvania, it has a narrower, more pronounced mids tone than later Sylvania, I actually usually prefer these in bassman and twin amps because of their more mids focused sound. It to my ears is one of the tubes that had a little bit more of a distinctive sound compared to later STR, GE ones.