6L6s vs. EL34s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Jon, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Jon

Jon Member

If I were to change the output tubes in my Victoria Sovereign head from EL34s to 6L6s (with a re-bias of course) what tonal/drive changes could I expect? I'm assuming that I would get less midrange and more clean headroom but I'm sure some of you will have more info/experience.

2. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

6L6s have that plunky Fender compressed sound. You'll get tighter bass and some more highs out of the 6L6s, but less snarl and midrange grind like the EL34s.

3. Jon

Jon Member

I'm hoping that translates to more clean headroom - at the moment with the EL34s the notes have a bit of hair on them even at lower volumes, which is great when you want it, but for a particular band I'm working with I want a cleaner rhythm sound (I'll use pedals for dirt and solos) - I realise 2 output tubes won't give me the massive headroom of a 4 output tube amp like a Twin but if it cleans up a bit it should be great.

4. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Should clean up more than a bit. You could always investigate preamp tubes as well. Swapping out your initial gain stage, assuming it's a 12AX7, with a 5751 or 12AT7 should do the trick. Biasing the EL34s a little colder may also help.

5. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Oh yeah, if you're after massive clean headroom, throw a set of 6550s in the power section. :D

6. steve_chiro

steve_chiro Member

Same here.

7. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Supporting Member

Hey Jim, I used to think that way until I played a Shiva!!

8. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

My Alessandro Black 'n Tan can take 6L6 / 6V6 / EL34 / KT66. The 6L6s seem slightly smoother and warmer than the EL34s. This is mostly clean at low volume.

9. Millo 3.1

Millo 3.1 Member

Almost the same here. Had to change my output tubes to 6L6's b/c I'll be using the clean channel a lot more now. Joined this project recently and we've only met twice, anyway I've left this amp home b/c it's too much for the moment, LOL!.... Anyway, before my clean channel mid level was REALLY low. It seemed very nasal otherwise, not very "natural" as I'd like a real clean sound to be. Now I have to keep the bass control on the drive channel really low as well, LOL! However now this OD channel does slight break-up a lot better, smoother; although high-gain sounds are not necessarily smoother... not the contrary either, just different... high-gain tones seem less chewy/sustain-y now which was something I liked w/ EL-34's. Oh well.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008