6SH7 for Matchless Clubman

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by 6120, Jan 28, 2006.

1. 6120

6120 Member

Just got a Clubman that uses 1 6SH7 , and when I got it the tube was making a humming racket so I bought a few NOS RCA but when I got those the humming stopped but they were microphonic. I took it down to my amp guy and he said there is nothing wrong with the amp but I need to find a good tube. Anybody know if this is an especiallly troublesome tube and/or where can I get some reliable 6SH7 and what brand works well. KCA does not have them, and I know Matchless switched to other tubes for that spot in later models. Anybody know why? Thanks

2. hasserl

hasserl Member

From the GE datasheet for the 6SH7: "The 6SH7 is not recommended for use as a high-gain audio amplifier because undesirable hum may be encountered."

I believe Matchles moved away from those tubes because of the same problems you are having now.

3. 6120

6120 Member

This last batch were RCA and they didn't hum as much as rattle(microphonic) the first one Hummed. I actually have 3 Clubmans and I think this one sounds the best. It plays ok but at high volumes with the head on the cab I can detect the residual echo of rattle. If only I could find the perfect 6SH7 I would buy a couple of dozen !!! Thanks for the help. Anyone else got any ideas?

4. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

From experience it's likely you're going to have to look for individual, low microphonic tubes (eg, buy a bunch and try them out).

5. 6120

6120 Member

Anybody else with any thoughts on these tubes or where to find some non-microphonic ones. Thanks

6. John Ward

John Ward Member

I have a couple of combos with 6SH7 tubes and it was a challenge to find non-microphonic tubes. I recommend buying a bunch of different brands of NOS tubes and testing them in your amp. The metal can tubes are cheaper and sound just as good as the glass envelope tubes. I haven't found a particular brand that is less likely to be microphonic. I live in the Twin Cities, if you are close by you can bring your amp over, I have around 20 6SH7 tubes you can try. email jward at nyx.net
    John