6v6 amp recommendations/show and tell

Over the past year or so I've realized that amps with 6v6 power tubes are ALWAYS my favorite. I always come back to a Deluxe Reverb. I'm thinking about adding another 6v6 powered amp as a backup. Anyway, show me your favorite 6v6 amps and tell my why you love 'em.

Full Monty

Princeton Reverb II. Not quite a Rivera design but dating from that period with plenty of his style of design in evidence. Admittedly the footswitch design is rubbish but I love the clean tone so much that I'm content to use pedals.

cbpickin

Tweed Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
My #1 favorite 6v6 is my 5e3, Clark Beaufort. It has the perfect amount of grit and grind but with clarity and cleans up amazingly well riding your volume knob.

My favorite clean 6v6 amp is my Fargen Blackbird w/4x6v6s.

Wayne Alexander

Silver Supporting Member
I've got a 65Amps Monterey that has their EF86 - bump front end, master voltage, and 6V6 output tubes. It's very versatile, has a big vocabulary as Dan Boul would say. It can be set to sound like a Deluxe Reverb that won't flub out on the low end, or something like a cranked Vox, and several other tones. Very highly recommended. Listen to Nick Sterling's demo of it here:

http://65amps.com/monterey.html

wreckmark

Gold Supporting Member
Another vote for the Clark Beaufort. I've had mine about 2 weeks and am wondering where it's been all my life! :)

Wombat

Silver Supporting Member
Tungsten Crema Wheat and a Headstrong Lil' King Jr. are my current favorites

erksin

So many kickass vintage 2-6V6 combos out there that can be had for less than 1/2 the price of a boutique...

Gibson GA-19RVT
Silvertone 1482
Fender 6G2 Princeton
Ampeg Jet or Reverberocket
Magnatone 213 or 440

Just to name a few.

mwhy

Silver Supporting Member
Here's mine: Jack Anderson 22w "mini" combo and a 1x12 extension cab.

cbnutt

My #1 favorite 6v6 is my 5e3, Clark Beaufort. It has the perfect amount of grit and grind but with clarity and cleans up amazingly well riding your volume knob.

My favorite clean 6v6 amp is my Fargen Blackbird w/4x6v6s.
that fargen sounds interesting to me, i love a good clean deluxe, but usaly lacking a little in headroom, 4 6v6 seems like the sound i might want, but more power, is that amp still made, and what might tbe the cost of a new one ? thanks...........:)

lo-watt

I vote for the Silvertone 1482 with a 4 ohm Weber OR a 62 Fender Princeton 6G2 with a 10f150T..

Mmmm,warm...

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
Samamp VAC 23. The most versatile small amp available.

Last edited:

Trending Topics