• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

6V6 in a Marshall

DucRyder

Platinum Supporting Member
Well a Blockhead actually, but it's a copy of a Marshall.
I have a Blochead JTM50 type head with the transformers described as:

The power transformer is a low voltage model running 300 volts- this leads to a softer, sweeter breakup with a little less headroom than the higher voltage transformers found in the later 50 watters. The output transformer is el34 version of the radiospares transformer, it has a primary of 3.4k with m6 laminations

If I install 6V6 in place of the EL34s what changes would I have to make to the impedance setting to run this with a 16ohm load?

Last edited:

rockon1

What is the plate voltage? Only JJ6V6's are rated for the higher voltages EL34's run. If you do use them with an amp designed for EL34's (and rebias of course) the amp should be set at 8 ohms to compensate if your using a 16 ohm cab. Bob

Austinrocks

What is the plate voltage? Only JJ6V6's are rated for the higher voltages EL34's run. If you do use them with an amp designed for EL34's (and rebias of course) the amp should be set at 8 ohms to compensate if your using a 16 ohm cab. Bob

If figured I would go with my safer post of talk to eurotubes, I am using the JJs 6v6s in my hot rod, and the transformer and rebias get the tube working for me, every thing rockon1 said is correct, check the link

http://www.eurotubes.com/euro-e.htm

DGDGBD

I'm using JJ 6V6s in my 4-hole marshall 50 watter (clone) and it sounds awesome. The plate voltage on mine is about 365v, so i have the option of using different makes of 6V6. I was using brimar 6V6's and it sounded pretty good but I think I like the JJ's better.

rockon1

I'm using JJ 6V6s in my 4-hole marshall 50 watter (clone) and it sounds awesome. The plate voltage on mine is about 365v, so i have the option of using different makes of 6V6. I was using brimar 6V6's and it sounded pretty good but I think I like the JJ's better.
Im not famulier with the OP's amp but ,yes ,if the PV is 400 or less any 6V6 can be used. Bob

DucRyder

Thanks! for answering my question!

michael.e

Silver Supporting Member
Wow, much difference in impdance responses.

So, if I wanted to put a pair of JJ6v6's in my '72 JMP, and I have a Biasrite and a variac..

Would I lower the voltage a tad, set the voltage at what...
Set the bias at what....

I really want to try this in my amp too!

Zuper

Silver Supporting Member
Correct.

Trending Topics