6V6 Marshall tones

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Killcrop, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

So besides Marshall, who makes a Marshally inspired 6v6 amp? I know a few are made with (4) 6v6 tubes. I'm looking more at (2) 6v6 amps.

2. ngtubeamper

ngtubeamper Member

NICK GREER !!! He is making a multiple 6V6 Based amp in development and his Underdog 15 Mod 1 which I own , has a more compressed thick Tweed tone , not Marshall bright , more jtm45 ISH emphasis on ISH ! Jump it etc ! Very Tweed Deluxe with WAY more Balls ! but talk to him , he builds to the ear , the C:BEER ustomer's ear !!

3. thintele

thintele Member

A Germino Massonette sounds like what you're looking for. Greg is not making them anymore but they pop up on the Emporium and Fleabay often.

4. gdomeier

gdomeier Supporting Member

James Peters Dual channel amps are 6V6 based. My style of music is all marshal based bands (classic rock, hard rock and metal). I really did the Dual Channel. The classic overdrive smokes!

5. Nick Greer

Nick Greer Member

6V6 MARSHALLESQUE TONES

Hey NGTA, thanks for the support, here's the skinny on our amp ideas...

If you're looking for Marshall type tones and would like a little bit of chime added to the texture, the CAM18 can get them out of our line. It gives some Marshall "bright" channel type tones and adds a little bit of Voxy chime to the high end--something we all like I think. The Underdog 15 will give you tweed tones and can get into some areas of the Marshall sound but the CAM does a little better job of getting this sound.

Nick Greer
    owner/operator
    www.nickgreerexpdesigns.8m.com

6. ngtubeamper

ngtubeamper Member

Call Nick Greer and tell him you want the ultimate Marshall amp --the Blackfoot Train Train amp ! I am trying to get him to build it ! :BEER

7. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

Dave...

I know you are more interested in a (2) 6V6 Marshall inspired amp....but don't rule out the Roccaforte Custom 30 (4 6V6's). It is an absolute killer amp for getting that big classic Marshall tone...and equally as important....big amp response and feel. I assume that you are looking at (2) 6V6 amps due to volume considerations but the master volume on the Custom 30 works fantastic for retaining that big amp tone and feel at lower volumes.

The first time I plugged into my Custom 30 I was absolutely floored by how authorative and huge the tone was and if I didn't know any better I'd have sworn it was running EL34's and not 6V6's. I was also amazed at how close I could get it to sound to my old Marshall amps.

I used to own a Germino Masonette and IMO it does not compare to the Roccaorte Custom 30....even when the Custom 30 is run at lower volumes with the master. It sounds small in comparison and nowhere near as full and open. To my ears and IMO, the Masonette sounds "Marshall-esque" whereas the Roccaforte (when set properly) sounds...and feels like the real deal. :dude

8. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

Germino Masonnette. Marshall voice, 6V6 output tubes..25 watts.

9. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

oh yeah, cranked a Gibsonette GA8 w/ celestion speaker will give you a Marshall stack tone in a 10 watt setup. Tubes are two 6V6s...See 'Southbay ampworks' (Scumbag amps) for related modern takes on the Gibsonette

10. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

If you're interested in one of these, I'd imagine Hey!You!, a member here, will be able to tell you all about it. He's got a Scumbag conversion "on loan" from me right now while we finish his Scumbag GA-8 conversion. Volume, Bass, Middle & Treble, plus our kick-ass "Nuke" switch option for incredible overdrive tones. Paired with a Scumback speaker, it will rock your world...

11. MuseCafeChris

MuseCafeChris Senior Member

12. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

Fuchs Blackjack21 can get Marshally, with a bit more chime though. The more I play it, the more I dig it. Just discovered - it's way cool with a Tele and a Barber Burn Unit.

peace,

jb

13. Roe

Roe Member

germino classic 45, club 40, and lead55 LP all take 6v6s

14. spikeRI

spikeRI Supporting Member

might consider a DST UV6.....

15. Swarty

Swarty Member

Another thought... If you want a 6V6 powered Marshall, get a '70s 50w low B+ variety... typically 370V-390V or so. 6V6s and EL34s have almost identical bias voltage requirements... It is possible to have a set of each to pop in for high power and low power. Just turn the impedence selector down a notch for 6V6s (ie. run a 16ohm cab w/ 8ohm selected on the head).

16. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

Traynor Bassmate head. Mid `60`s. They soon switched to EL84 powered combos. I think they only made this head for one or two years.Rare as a69 Plexi in 10+ condition, but if you come across one, chances are they wopn`t know what they got, and will let it go cheep!! I paid $3Fiddy Cdn [​IMG]for mine, had it modded for a bit more treble, and had a standby switch installed. My baby Marshall. Only bout 18 watts, so volume with a 2X12 is perfect for most situations.
    Yeah I know, the necks in the way, but you get a good idea.
    CT.

17. Reverend Voodoo

Reverend Voodoo Member

I'm currently cooking up a 4 gain stage, PPIMV, 6V6 Marshall-style...

should be running within a week...

18. sampleinajar

sampleinajar Member

Do you by chance know if there are any 6v6s that can handle 480V ?

Thanks!

Steve

19. Guy from Idaho

Guy from Idaho Member

I've owned/gigged both of these, and at least partly agree with this assessment. The Custom 30 does indeed sound huge and sounds bigger side-by-side with the Masonette. In some venues that's great, but the Masonette really cooks on a smaller stage, which I found very gratifying, and easier to work with in that situation, even with the Rocca's excellent master volume, ymmv. OTOH, you can pop a pair of EL34s into the Rocca if you really want to live large. The Germino Club 40 might be a better comparison with that Rocca, or even the LV55, since they both will run 6v6 tubes (2 not 4) and sound significantly bigger than the Masonette. -Guy

20. Reverend Voodoo

Reverend Voodoo Member

JJ's can :dude