6V6....must be me.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by El Rey, May 26, 2020.

1. massacre

massacre Silver Supporting Member

I own 2 6v6 amps and I like them.

presence likes this.
  2. Muffdriver

Muffdriver Supporting Member

I agree OP. Love el84, never liked playing through a single amp with 6v6.

3. big mike

big mike Gold Supporting Member

Someone doesn’t know how To build it for chime

Greer CAM18 ftw

massacre, pats and El Rey like this.
  4. Darkburst

Darkburst Supporting Member

Hmm. My Ceriatone 2202 doesn’t sound like it’s lacking anything. Sounds like the classic Marshall’s I’ve previously owned. Maybe it’s the particular 6V6? I’m using the JJ versions which I’ve heard are more like a mini 6L6 than the traditional 6V6 tone. Just thinking out loud...

mojah, jcs, East Texas and 2 others like this.
  5. Steppin' Wolfe

Steppin' Wolfe Member

Erroneous post....I don’t know how it got here. .

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  6. El Rey

El Rey Silver Supporting Member

Thank you!
    I definitely hope to try one.

massacre and big mike like this.
  7. El Rey

Hmm.....interesting...thank you.

8. El Rey

Thank you all very much for ALL the posts.

Great stuff to think about.

Hoping for more.

9. Kennybeeinfl

Kennybeeinfl Member

It's so interesting how we all differ. I've owned at least 6 amps with EL 84's and wound up always getting rid of them. On the other hand the only amp I've ever had with 6V6's in it is a Fuchs Blackjack 21 and its one of my all time favorites. Just another example of how we all hear things differently.

10. MHG

MHG Member

Absolutely. The guitars we use also probably has something to do with this. I play Strats with relatively lower output pickups exclusively. I feel like Tele's and Humbucker equipped guitars are a better match for 6V6's for some reason.

massacre and msquared like this.
  11. big mike

big mike Gold Supporting Member

Desert island amp for me.
    Chime of an 84
    But the low mid of the bigger bottles.

Circuit more important than power tubes anyway imo

El Rey and Produktsumme like this.
  12. msquared

msquared Supporting Member

I was also considering this idea as I read through the thread. I like 6v6 *because* of the chime but I've heard my fair share of dull Fender Deluxe Reverbs and it's always interesting to try to figure out why.

I've had a lot of this with pedals as well. All of the gear I've got is typically considered somewhere between pretty good and "desert island" but it doesn't always work together. I've ended up building a couple of entirely different rigs (including guitars) as a result.

MHG likes this.
  13. Pongo

Pongo Member

I'm not a tech, and am only qualified to swap speakers and tubes, so take everything below as the word of someone who's merely a longtime amp user.

That's a truth, not a belief. Tubes are like the icing on your cake. They absolutely have an affect on the final product, but they aren't the be-all, end-all. Going from EL34 to 6V6 isn't going to turn your NY cheesecake into chocolate coconut cake.

Case in point: a few years ago, I had more tubes rolling around than I knew what to do with and two Mesas that allowed for easy swapping -- a Lone Star and TC-100. Going from 6L6 to EL34 to 6V6 absolutely changed the character of those amps. As you might expect, the 6L6s had the most pronounced top and bottom end, the EL34 was a punchy, hairy beast, while the 6V6 brought out some delightful squishy mids and was a bit looser at the bottom end. IMO, people who really know their tubes would probably be able to tell what was installed at the time. However, despite the obvious differences, it's still the cake analogy: it's not like there was ever any question of what amp I was playing through.

To me, it sounds like you're describing a feature, not a bug. A lot of players love that dull, burnished sound!

If we're talking smaller tubes, EL84s, tend to bring more of that tightness and that "chimey" quality you seem to be after. If you have a few bucks and are willing to experiment, maybe try some JJ 6V6s? They're widely reported to have a tighter bottom end and more up top -- closer to a 6L6. I've only used them in two different amps, but in both cases that was my exact experience, as well (and in the first amp, I wasn't yet aware of JJ's reputation, so no confirmation bias at play!).

Tl;dr: different tubes, even the same type of tubes from different manufacturers, can make your amp sound different, but you are right that the sum of the other components makes more of a difference.

straight outta fuzz likes this.
  14. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

There are a number of shootouts online, to get some degree of understanding.

mojah and El Rey like this.
  15. ProfRhino

ProfRhino Member

trust me, I hear you.
    I had quite a few 6V6 capable amps in the past, including an SF Deluxe, all kinds of vintage and new tubes,and inevitably ended up hating them.
    thin, harsh, ratty - they ticked all the boxes. :barf

when I finally got my Kelley, it changed all that, in a minute.
    not a single mediocre tone in that baby ... :bow

but it came with aftermarket TAD 6V6 ...
    of course I had to try them out in my Heartbreaker and Redplate ADD as well, both of which had hated 6V6 in the past - guess what ? the ADD has got its own set of TADs by now, and I have another spare quad that takes turns with the HB's usual TAD short bottles, another favourite of mine.
    (mind you, these are about the only TADs I like, I hate their preamp tubes and I'm far from being a brand whore ! )

bottom line :
    get yourself some TADs to try out, they might be a gamechanger for you as well.
    think sweeter than 6L6 cleans, light compression, a transitional area that rivals good EL84s, and overdrive more like a Plexi than a Fender - and that's true for all three amps I mentioned ! :love:

highly recommended, but ymmv,
    Rhino

16. Steppin' Wolfe

Steppin' Wolfe Member

Prof Rhino, a Kelley amp is special amp. I had a Kelley FACS amp in hardwood cab. I have seller’s remorse over that one. There is no other amp that I have been around that did what that FACS did.

ProfRhino likes this.
  17. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

The type of tubes used really does not tell you anything about the amp except that if someone used an EL34 he probably did that because that was the basis for the heritage of the amp. Soldano used 5881's for many years but they hardly sounded like most 6L6 amps. Many people who use 6V6 do so because they are making smaller Fendery inspired amps which also had pretty small iron. That can be cool for certain things but is not the way you have to use them. Use big iron and they can sound huge, biggly and better than ever, the best.

18. Red House

Red House Silver Supporting Member

Blackface Deluxe Reverb - One Of The Greatest Amps All Time! :D

ripgtr and EmandoDave like this.
  19. EmandoDave

EmandoDave Member

I love my 6V6 amps. One is low end; the Laney Cub 10. The other is a Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head purchased specifically with the 6V6 option (25/12w) vs EL34 (55/25w). My one (brief) experience owning an EL84 amp was the Monoprice 15. It sounded like drek and I couldn't return it quickly enough.

massacre likes this.
  20. ProfRhino

ProfRhino Member

you're absolutely right about that, I love mine dearly, been chasing one for several years. :love:
    it's not a FACS, just a black tolex Suhr built Reissue, but it totally nails these iconic tones ...
    my actual point was how the TAD 6V6, that accidentally came to me in that Kelley, completely changed my view about 6V6 in the HB and the ADD !
    no, they don't sound anywhere close to the Kelley.
    three very different amps.
    but the TADs make every one of them perform to the best of their individual talents. :aok
    that's why I think it's relevant to this thread.
    cheers,
    Rhino

Steppin' Wolfe and El Rey like this.