• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

6V6 the Holy GRAIL????

trpullen

Could it be the perfect rock amp tube? Killer clean and over the top distortability. I think they are the sweetest. Comments?

Free

Essentially agreed - probably my favorite tube ever, yet I've got to give equal respect to KT66, EL34 and some 6L6's too. I've always been amazed 6V6 tubes don't have the popularity of el84's on 20 watt class platforms. They absolutely kill most el84 tones in similar amp circuits IMO.

GenoBluzGtr

Platinum Supporting Member
Although I have never set out to 'discover' the ultimate tube, it always seems to be the one that I gravitate toward. I like other tubes quite a bit, but if I were to be forced to choose one tube format, it would be the "Sweet Little 6V6"..

cbpickin

Tweed Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
With the sale of my '66 Super Reverb, I'm down to only one 6L6 amp, everything else is 6V6. It just seems to have worked out that way. My CAM18 is not your typical 6V6 sound, but I'm really liking it too.

jspax7

Could it be the perfect rock amp tube? Killer clean and over the top distortability. I think they are the sweetest. Comments?
Yep.

I like them because they can sound like a mini-me version of a 6L6, but they clip sooner, and sweeter. Ever since my first Deluxe Reverb, I've been in love with the sound of a pushed 6V6.

fish78

Educate me, as a newbe to the entire scene what are the tonal differences between the 6v6s and the 6L6s?

Aslan

I own a Orange Rockeverb 50 with four 6V6's and it is the most versatile amp on the planet!! 6V6's just rock! They have a nice warm clean sound and when pushed they have a good mid-range breakup that I love.

Shnook

Silver Supporting Member
My favorite tube as well. I'm in the slow process of weeding out my EL84 amps and replacing them with more beloved 6V6's.

wingwalker

Fuzzy Guitars
My fav power tube hands down! Next in line for me is a good set of EL34's but for me 6V6's edge out 34's...I do like 6L6's to but there is just something magical about the compression and overall tone of a 6V6 amp.

Heinz W

Genuine '66 Relic
Platinum Supporting Member
Another 6V6 fanboy here!

+1 to the 4-6V6 variety. It's tough to beat the tone of a good 4 6V6 amp.

Austinrocks

Educate me, as a newbe to the entire scene what are the tonal differences between the 6v6s and the 6L6s?
The 6V6 is a smaller american tube, its a small version of the 6L6, however don't try to swap the 6L6 with a 6V6 in the amp, it probably wont work, the the most common tubes are

6L6 = 30 watt american tube, High Powered Fenders and Mesas
6V6 = 15 watt american tube, Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue, small wattage classic fenders, Mesa Mark IV installed by user for great tone
EL-34 = 30 watt Eurpoean tube, Marshalls
EL-84 = 15 watt European tube, Marshall DSL401 which I have, and a lot low wattage amps, Peavey Classic Amps, Fenders Blues Jr.

I have the 6V6's in my Mesa Mark IV, the Mark IV came with 6L6's and will use EL-34's in the Left and Right slots, the outside tubes, the inside tubes need to be 6L6s, this sounds like a Stilleto to me, very powerful, but not the Marshall tone I was hoping for, they say British tone.

The Mesa Mark IV also runs 6V6s, and a matched pair for the inside tubes, and a matched pair for the outside tubes, the amp is operated in Simulink, and powered on in the Tweed Power only, it sounds harder than it really is, putting the tubes in the Mesa was really easy, and I was rewarded with a great tone from my Mark IV, I am now in love with my Mesa, and I had been so frustrated before with the tone, so I am a true believer in the 6V6, I got the pair locally, and used Mesa's tubes, its just easier that way, no worry's about the tubes not being right.

Trending Topics