6V6 the Holy GRAIL????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by trpullen, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Bonenut

Bonenut Member

Big 6V6GT fan here too. Fender DR's and Princetons are great sounding amps. Ok, so what is your favorite variety/brand of 6V6? Mine is the RCA brownbase military 6V6GTY from the 50's but there are so many flavors of 6V6 that have their own merits that it's hard to have a favorite.

2. davess23

davess23 Member

I have two 6V6 amps, and they're very different. The '72 Deluxe Reverb sounds like what it is, a Fender, and my Germino Masonette sounds like an old Marshall.

BTW, I've got JJ's in the DR and if I recall correctly NOS Phillips are in the Masonette.

3. studiodunn

studiodunn Silver Supporting Member

I think this is a true statment in the context of "reasonable volume".

My ultimate tone comes from heavier iron at higher volumes via kt66's or 34's.

4. bosstone

bosstone Member

6V6 tubes came in the Marshall Studio 15 and that amp definitely sounds like a Marshall, especially when plugged into a good old Marshall 4 X 12" cab.

5. rburkard

rburkard Gold Supporting Member

Great tubes. According to Fred Tacone from Divided by 13 Amps they are closer to EL34s than to 6L6 tubes.
    Rene

6. mainsale

mainsale Member

I'm a big 6V6 tube fan as well. I've got them in my Maven Peal RG 88, and two Jeff Check Fender clones and they give me the tone I'm after.

[​IMG]

7. dongrosh

dongrosh Member

just looked around fpor 6V6 cause i got an Carr Slant 6V from LOr Riff and this amp is really great, both-in cleans AND in chrunch, i was able to get some fine "JIM" out of that (was not expected)

So, my question:

i have an old Egnater TOL 100 (4 CH) EL 34 100 Watt, the tubes are ready to go, i do not need more than 30 watt - hmm, you know the question..

would you 1. recommend to try 4 6V6 in that amp and 2. is it difficult to change that or jut bias and ready..??

I really like the CH 3&4, they are super warm, have tons of sustain and so on, but the Cleans on CH1&2 are lets say "nothing for wow", so, i like to keep the Leads and want to pimp the Cleans.

As is use the Badger with EL84 and the Dumble for 6L6 i just thought to change the Egnater. What do you think??

8. jamison162

jamison162 Member

DonGrosh huh...will the real Don please stand up?

Oh, and isn't there a certain RC you need to be finishing?

9. jamison162

jamison162 Member

So now that we agree on 6V6's being the bomb (RV50 here), which 6V6's?

I think my ears are getting tired of these stock EH's, it's been about a year now. The TS's are finally going in.

10. Free

Free Member

I've always been able to cop EL34 tones with the right EQ on quite a few 6V6 amps, so that makes sense, though I never knew these two tubes were technically similar. Could you elaborate a bit on this? Interesting.

11. japhy

japhy Member

95% of all the amps I've ever owned have been 6v6 based . many DRs and such. Currently I own a Champ , a '49 Oahu ( Supro/Valco) and a '66 Princeton reverb .
    At one time , when NOS tubes were common , I had no troubles . But when the only thing available in local stores were EH tubes , I just about gave up on 6v6 amps . I really dislike those tubes .
    Then came the JJ 6v6 and all is well again . Love that tube.

12. mattpas

mattpas Silver Supporting Member

I love them so much when I went to design some amps I wanted them all to be 6V6

13. rburkard

rburkard Gold Supporting Member

Fred stated that in an interview he did sometime ago and confirmed that in a phone conversation I had with him two years ago.
    The interview was in a guitar magazine, but I don't remember which one. Since he does not have time for interviews you might easily find out in a search.
    Rene

14. dongrosh

dongrosh Member

i have that dongrosh since 10 years now - nobody has gripped in that time -

what please is RC??

and is it not conventional here to get answers to questions??
    I´m mod on other forums and member since many years in other
    forums - so...i´m a bit amazed how new members (not newbies in the market)
    will be affilitated here......

15. dorianadams

dorianadams Member

Jim Marshall thought so too.I predict another 6V6 Marshall in the near future.First one in 20+ years and second one ever.

16. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

[​IMG]

17. fridgit

fridgit Member

Hey!

I just got a '77 Princeton NR. I am thinking about putting JJ's or Tungsols in there to replace the EH 6V6's. They sound a little too bright and tinny to me. Anyone played through these/have any suggestions for tubes?

I am also looking into replacing the 10" speaker with something warmer and not as trebley. So far, I love the 6V6 sound. This amp is the perfect clean tone IMHO, I just want to get a bit more warmth from the tubes and the speaker.

18. fridgit

fridgit Member

19. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

While I doubt that the 6V6 is a holy grail tube (whatever that is!) they do sound good in my 5E3 and also my trainwreck clone. I was amazed at how good they sounded when I first tried them in my 'wreck clone. Tight lows, less brittle highs and plenty of fat mids. And waaaay louder than I was expecting!

I do like the JJ 6V6, and I love their KT77 also. Their KT77 in a plexi style amp is a great tone. BTW a friend was having issues with his 5E3 and changed to JJ 6V6s and the wierd buzzing stopped. Good tubes. I'm sure there are some better NOS 6V6s but I've had lots of good tones with the JJs.

20. trpullen

trpullen Member

I was just trading email with Frenzel Amps about putting a Quad set of 6V6 in their [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]JF - 5E11 "VibroLux Plus". That just might be magical.
    [/FONT]