6V6 Tube Recommendations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gearhead, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Gearhead

Gearhead Member

Heh all,

I'm looking for some 6V6 tube recommendations. Would prefer to get new because of cost, but if NOS are waaay better, might pony up the extra cash.

Two different amps: Valvetech (basic), which I mostly use in higher gain mode, and a Fuchs ODS 30 from clean to med-high gain.

Thanks all,

Dave

2. trisonic

trisonic Member

Out of the new ones I like the jj 6v6s.

Best, Pete.

3. theelectic

theelectic Guest

+1 - they're really tough to kill (good for Champ and Deluxe owners), and sound noticeably better than the other common new production 6V6 from Sovtek. There's a Chinese 6V6 out there as well, but don't bother.

4. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

Electro Harmonix or JJs are excellent current production 6V6s with plate voltages high enough for guitar amps. I haven't tried Tung Sols yet.

Electro Harmonix 6V6s are great tubes when you are running an amp with a quad - they break up sooner than JJs and saturate more quickly. A 6V6 amp needs power tube distortion to sound good. EH 6V6s distort sooner than JJs which makes them the perfect choice for a quad.

JJs have more headroom, don't break up as quickly, and have more crystal clean 6V6 sheen. Those with amps with only two 6V6 power tubes need the headroom. JJs are the best choice. For a quad, JJs are best for those that play clean.

You choose.

5. trucks

trucks Member

6. 2x6L6

2x6L6 Supporting Member

The JJs seem really bomb-proof and an excellent choice for the money. I think they sound darn good.

For a bit more coin, I think NOS Sylvania or Phillips JAN are great 6V6 tubes. A definite sonic difference from current production tubes.

7. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

The JJ's have the most clean headroom, and seem to have a larger sound (at least in a single ended Class A design). They also are a little stronger in tone, whereas most of the NOS tubes are "smoother" and don't pack as much bite.

8. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

+1 with everything lfb says.

A year ago, I replaced the quad of EH 6V6s in my Tone King Continental with JJs and never looked back. But when I described what I liked about them to the amp's designer/builder, Mark Bartel, he replied that that's exactly why he, himself, prefers the EHs (he said he found the JJs "too 6L6-like").

9. Srini

Srini Guest

Hi Dave,

I substituted the JJ 6V6s in my Fuchs Princeton Mod with NOS Brimars, and they sound great. Of course, they're about 70 bucks a matched pair...

Srini

10. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

I should point out that my recommendations are for what works in my amp design. All of the NOS, old stock and the JJ's worked fine, the EH's all melted, imploded, lost vacuum, or "lit up like a light show" within 30-45 seconds of being turned on. I lost 15 out of 16 EH's, so I gave up trying, whereas every single NOS, old stock, old type, or JJ (current production) tube had no problem at all.

I'm sure my amp asks more of the tube, no doubt, but that's also why it produces a better tone, since it works the tubes harder. FWIW

11. 2x6L6

2x6L6 Supporting Member

This is the perfect description of what I found when trying them in my Deluxe Reverb - the JJs sounded great but I liked the sound of the NOS a little better. The Sylvania JANs can be had for a little as ~$25/matched pair - pretty good deal! I see the Phillips for usually ~40/matched pair.

12. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

If it's bite you like, go with NOS JAN Philips.

13. Curly

Curly Member

I have several 6V6 amps.

I may be piling on, but I like the JJs. I agree they have a bigger sound - they're bigger both physically and sound wise, and can take high voltage, so I think they're well suited for my DRRI.

Unfortunately, the size may be an issue when using certain amp/ speaker combos, such as a Red Fang in a 5E3.

I have a stash of NOS tubes I save for my old Deluxe. I've tried the Phillips, but they are not one of my favorites - they just don't seem as sweet as some of the others.

14. Blueser

Blueser Member

I had a quad of JJ 6V6s in my Matamp 1224 MKIII, and those tubes just rocked! Sweet harmonic breakup. It was definitely like a muscled up 6L6 tone than some of the more jagged tones that I got out of the EH 6V6s in the past.

IMO, one of the best current production tubes available.

15. Reeek

Reeek Member

I have several matched pairs of very highly regarded NOS (NIB in most cases) 6V6G, 6V6GTY, 6V6GT tubes and a bunch of used but working tubes too. I'd let a matched pair go for a fair price if you're interested in the list I have. Sorry if this is inappropriate. I just have way more than I need.

16. cleansed leper

cleansed leper Member

17. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Those are cool but very rare and difficult to find. Also a bit more than $20 per pair (if you can find them).

Marconi 6V6Gs, RCA 6V6GTs and Brimar 6V6GTYs are all excellent choices as well.

18. jda

jda Member

To join the love fest: My Roccaforte Custom 30 came with a quad of JJs, I am a relentless cork sniffing tweaker, and I haven't felt the need to change them. They sound really good.

I did change out the preamp tubes ;)