• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

6V6GTA Tube ID please

pennylink

Can anyone please help ID this pair of 6V6GTA I've seen for sale? Any comments about how they might sound? Many thanks :)

Timbre Wolf

Hyperspatial Gravity Surfer
Platinum Supporting Member
They look like Sylvania to me.

Sonic character depends on how well they're operating, and what you're comparing them too. What 6V6 are you using now?

- Thom

pennylink

They look like Sylvania to me.

Sonic character depends on how well they're operating, and what you're comparing them too. What 6V6 are you using now?

- Thom
I've been using Brimar 6V6GTY which are working out well for me (warm with smooth break up) in a Two-Rock Studio Pro, but am always on the lookout for back up tubes. Are Sylvania considered somewhat on the bright side?

Blue Strat

Sylvania or JAN Philips (US Philips bought Sylvania's tube operations and continued with many of the same designs).

Yes, they'll be a bit brighter than Brimars.

pennylink

Thanks, guys :) Sounds like thse Sylvania may be a little brighter than what I normally like.

What might the tonal characteristics be of these CBS Hytron 6V6GTY?

Rambergwest

The Hytrons are very nice tubes I have a set almost identical to those pictured. Kind of hard to describe without comparisons but, good extension in bass and treble, medium bloom to the notes through the midrange and excellent dynamics. They aren't my absolute favorites but are really really good depending on what is feeding them. For me they are best clean or driven by a pedal, the character is very competent but just a little on the conservative side compared to an RCA or Ken Rad. GTY tubes as a whole have a bit less refined feel from my experience and I have them in a number of flavors. The sets I have are very well matched as pairs and are exceptionally quiet which sometimes is the opposite side of a tube that is a bit polite. Great tubes though and certainly not a tube you would dislike.

Trending Topics