6V6s in Fender Pro Junior?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by JimVW, Jul 13, 2005.

1. JimVW

JimVW Member

I just picked up a cheap Fender Pro Junior as a backup. When I was searching for info here a few days ago, I can swear I came across a thread from someone who had put 6V6s in his.

I can't find the thread now.

Can anyone tell me if this is possible and, if so, what modifications are necessary

2. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I remember that thread (I think I posted in it), but I couldn't find it either. 6V6 tubes use a different tube socket than EL84 tubes, so it would be pretty involved to do this swap. Not impossible, I'd guess, but I don't really think it would be worth the time/money when you could buy another amp that would fit your needs better.

Bryan

3. JimVW

JimVW Member

Yeah, it occurred to me that the sockets might be board mounted, too, which would make it near impossible for someone like me.

What I might do is rehouse it into a head and build a Champ or Deluxe kit to put in the Fender cabinet.

4. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I've thought about doing the same thing with my Blues Junior.

Bryan

5. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    ....or you could invest about the same amount of time/effort, built a 6V6 amp kit and end up with 2 amps.

6. JimVW

JimVW Member

But then I'd have to buy more NOS tubes from you Mike. :D

I think that's the way I'm leaning at the moment. But John, that's interesting info. Thanks!

7. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    D'OH!:dude