6V6's in my Supersonic?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by rockon1, Oct 9, 2008.

1. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Thinking of trying some JJ 6V6's in my Supersonic if I have enough bias range that is. Wondering if anybodys run them at 480 volts? Bob

2. Dave C

Dave C Gold Supporting Member

Yup...a quad of 'em in a Jim Kelley FACS at 490v.

3. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Interesting. Thanks,might give this a go! Bob

4. prometheus

prometheus Member

Bob, wondering if you had tried this? I've been trying to figure out if this was possible before I ruin my amp. Thanks!

5. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Not in my Supersonic. I did try it in my Rivera Chubster. It takes EL34's. Tried 6L6's and then 6V6's in it. It runs at about 430 v IIRC. Its bias pot had enough range to drop down to proper bias range. If I did it with the SS I'd use JJ's and turn the bias pot all the way counterclockwise first(cold) then watch the meter to see if it was low enough to start with. Bob

6. dtube

dtube Member

Way North of Pittsburgh...no, I don't own a banjo.
    I have a set in a head I built for a friend using a Bassman PT. Those tubes are running at 478v Ep and biased to 30mA - not a problem at all. I am amazed at how hearty those tubes are. Tonally, they sound like crunchy little 6L6's in that amp; there's less headroom and, when driven hard, they yield a real creamy grind. Basically, its exactly what my friend wanted to hear out of that amp.
    -Darren

7. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Thats 100% dissapation even calculating the JJ's as 14 watt tubes? Unless this amp is running cathode bias it should be down near 19-20 ma. Bob

8. dtube

dtube Member

Yep it is. They sound great and aren't red-plating. LV has tested JJ 6V6's at higher current draws and hasn't killed them yet. To be honest, I fully expected them to die within a week; But, they have been in there since July, running three nights a week at 3-hrs per, and still sound great. Amazing tube.-Darren

9. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    All of this may be true.

Also true is that redplating doesn't occur until you get close to 200% max dissipation so "redplating" is a useless piece of information for this discussion.

10. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

If this were to WORK, what would it drop the wattage down too, approximately?

11. dtube

dtube Member

I wondered where that threshold was. Does that point move based on the material and mass of the plate? I apologize for using a generic metric in the discussion - just paraphrasing (and parroting) LV's comments. The set of 6V6's I have in that amp have been in since late-July, biased to 30mA, and have seen weekly use since. I had a spare set here and thought I would experiment a bit. I've been impressed so far.
    -Darren

12. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Approxiamately 1/2 maybe a bit more...Bob

13. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Im slow I guess- "Yep" it is 100 % or "yep" it is cathode biased? Obviously if its fixed bias thats REALLY hot. Only a JJ "6LV6" would possibly take that kind of punishment.:eek::eek::eek: Bob

14. dtube

dtube Member

Sorry about that Bob. The amp is indeed fixed-bias. The PI and output section components are essentially AB763 values. The OPT is a ProSonic unit that Angela used to sell.
    -Darren

15. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Wow thats brutal- and a testement to the JJ "6VL6"! lol! I doubt any "regular 6V6 would take that type of punishment. Bob