6V6s: new Tung-Sol or JJs?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Zelmo, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Zelmo

Zelmo Member

Hello all - I'm looking around for a replacement quad of 6V6s for a 2x5E3 amp and would like any opinions that you all might have of the JJ6V6 vs the new Tung-Sols 6V6s.

What I've heard so far:
    1) JJs have better upper-mids/highs than the Tung-Sols, (Tung-Sols slightly darker), and
    2) The JJ 6V6s are known for their low end. The new Tung-Sols are known for their sweet top end.

These descriptions are kind of opposite. Anyone have any experience with these tubes that they can relate?

Thank-uns.

2. Zelmo

Zelmo Member

Actually, it's my 'heart and ears' that I'm trying to satisfy now. Longevity of tubes is not an issue. They're plenty cheap compared to NOS. Also, I suspect that I'll have no problem getting getting as much output as I need from either tube.

Having said that, I'm a straight-into-the-amp guy, and I tend to live at or near the edge of clean tone and overdriven tone, depending on attack. Sometimes, I'll drive the amp more than others, (thats why I like tweed....).

Mostly I'm just interested in knowing how these 2 tubes compare - tonewise. Thanks.

3. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

The JJ has more Tight Bottom end but still has a very good Clarity. The JJ's are like built like no other 6V6 ever made. The JJ's will take 500 Plate Volts. Sorta like Old Tele Man said they are like little miniature 6L6's.

The Sovtek EH's are more like origional 6V6's with less output and less Bottom. Maybe Some More mids and softer sounding.

My feeling in 6V6 based Amps is one is allways wanting just a little More Tightness which the JJ's provide with ease.

I have both and much prefer the JJ's.

I hope this helps.

4. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

What I've found in my '65 Deluxe Reverb is the JJ 6V6 is tighter on the bottom end,scooped midrange and nice top end with some bite. The Tung Sols are more midrange oriented,decent bottom and smooth top end. I believe the Tung Sols have less note seperation when chording. I haven't tried them in my tweed deluxe yet. I have quite a few pairs on NOS 6V6's and 7408's and prefer black plate Sylvania's in the 5E3;even over RCA's and GE grey plates.I haven't come across RCA or GE black plates yet and suppose they would sound as good as the Sylvania's. JMHO.

5. K-man

K-man Member

RCA, GE, Sylvania, etc. 6v6's are still plentiful and if you look around you can get a good deal. You can also buy ANOS (almost new old stock) that test like new. Much better than current production IMO and they will last alot longer.

6. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

An RCA outlive a JJ 6V6?

7. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

This will give you an Idea of the Beefy Difference between the two.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

9. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Thanx OTM. I printed that out. I often wondered or wasnt sure about Biasing the JJ's Becuase they will take so much more than any other 6V6.

Hell I was feeling real frogy one day and I put a Quad of the JJ's in my Superlead. The Plate Voltage was running around 495 VP.

It didnt seem to make the amp less loud though.

10. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I put JJ6V6's in my Crate Stealth and what a difference! Much stronger with a fat bottom end than the EH they replaced.Hold together longer without saturating too. Of course this 6V6 amp is oddly geared toward metal and hard rock so the pairing is perfect IMO.

11. Zelmo

Zelmo Member

Thanks folks. Looks like I'll try the Tung-Sols and see where they take me.

12. samwheat

samwheat Member

jj = just junk

i would go with rca, sylvania or brimar

13. Brewmaster

Brewmaster Member

I never had a problem with any JJ tube I have had in numerous amps. I have used their 12ax7 preamp tube in my Marshall and Peavey amp with great success. Their e34l (not el-34) was a great performer in both my 25/50 Valvetech and Old Marshall JMP that I had converted to el 34's.

I do like the Tung Sol RI 12ax7. I have yet to try either the JJ or Tung Sol 6V6 since I have several sets of RCA blackplates to go through yet. :cool:

I would try both and see which one *you* like best. All indications are both are good tubes so it will be what your ear likes that determines what will be best for you.

14. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

I wouldnt advocate it, but I tried a pair of JJ's in an ODS-50 running like 475 B+, and they killed ! No red plates, nice breakup, like 30-W or so. Their website says they are "stronger than a normal 6V6" (or something to that effect). My Engineer Ted thought that was funny, although quite vague....lol.

15. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Let me say this again. The JJ 6V6 is the best 6V6 ever made including current production or old production. There has never been a better 6V6 made. The guy that said Just Junk obviously has never tried one.

Thanx FA

16. rooster

rooster Member

If you have an amp with relatively low plate voltage, and want the "old school" 6V6 sound, RCA, Sylvania, or Brimar are fine. I build my amps with 420V on the plates, and I don't want them melting down. So, I use the JJ's, which give me a hellacious crunch on the bottom end, that no old-stock tube can emulate. The JJ 6V6 is a superb tube, and the only one like it. It's not a cross reference to any other tube.

rooster.

17. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Obviously uninformed, the JJ 6V6 is a great tube, possibly one of the best new power tubes made of any type. Not to derail the thread but I wish JJ could make preamp tubes as good as their power tubes...they would probably have the market cornered.

18. Zelmo

Zelmo Member

Well, I already discounted that 'JJ=just junk' post as soon as I saw it. I have a tweed champ that I occasionally swap out the stock (RCA blackplate) tube for the JJ6V6, and I like it just fine.

Howver, the quad that I am interested getting is for a Victoria Double Deluxe, and unfortunately, I don't know beans about what plate voltage it's running, or anything like that (would love to learn, but that ain't gonna happen overnight....). In any event, since this amp is cathode biased, is it necessary to re-bias when going to a JJ 6V6 vs RCA, Sylvania, Brimar, etc.? Anyone know what the DD has for plate voltage (or do I need to care)?

Thanks.

19. rooster

rooster Member

I like 420V on that tube. I've run them higher, at 450V, and they were a bit bright and crispy. Not bad or anything, just a tad bright. And, I've run them lower at 390V or so, and once again, not bad, just a bit "furry." I like the 420 on the JJ 6V6S. That's with the GDS/Heyboer OT, and a Weber 12-55. Now, I'm not saying you can't get good tones at other voltages, but I build the amps for what I like, and I happen to have liked 420 (or thereabouts) the best of the spots I've tried. I CAN tell you that the stock EH 6V6's (don't confuse them with the "Tung-Sol" reissues, ask Lord Valve about that) will burn up unless you drop the screen voltage significantly. I like my screen at almost plate voltage with just a choke between plate and screen.

But that's me. Y'all have your own opinions, and they're at LEAST as valid as mine.

rooster.

20. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

If the DD is Cathode Biased then you shouldnt have anything to worry about. Though it is good to check Current Draw out anyway.